SS autosiphon... any interest??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
I'm going to be working with a friend that has a lot of CAD/3D design experience to design up a stainless autosiphon tube/setup. I plan on locating a local machine shop to get one made (for myself)... IF this works, is there any interest (at all) from anyone else? I'm looking to get one since the plastic one I've been using is starting to show age. If I'm going to replace it, I'd rather replace it with one that I won't need to replace again.

My idea is to have a 304 SS tube and cane, with the bottom of the outer tube having either a pressure fit end, or have it threaded. This way, you can take the end off, fully clean the tube, as well as the working end of the tube. I see the biggest hurdle being the one way valve in the bottom of the tube. That's where my friend comes into play. He should be able to design it up so that it works properly, and isn't a nightmare to manufacturer.

I have no idea what this will cost to make, yet. It could be more expensive than I think it could/should be. The more difficult part could be to get the tube and cane to work properly with each other.

Has anyone else thought to do this already? I know there are SS racking canes out there already. Just wondering why there's no autosiphon to work with them...

I've wondered why you never see a SS autosiphon. My racking canes are SS and I end up replacing my autosiphon once a year because I either break it or crakcs develop from cleaning with too hot water or something. Would be real interested in this if the price is reasonable.

Wasn't sure if the SS cane would fit into the plastic siphon tube, or not... I might have to try that out... The LHBS has both the SS canes and autosiphon's in stock, so I could try it there. It would let me at least try that configuration. It would also allow me to let my friend have a working item to model after... Or I could give it to the shop to use as the template.

No idea on how long this will all take to make... I might just offer the design/plans up for HBT supporters (as a friendly gesture to those that also contributed to the site to keep it running)... :rockin: If the interest is high enough, I might work with a vendor to offer them that way... But it would need to really be worth it.

I'd pay some pretty decent money for a SS autosiphon, as long as the gasket is silicone or something equally suited to sterilization.

I have all the widely available sizes of SS racking cane, as well as all sizes of autosiphon, and none of them work together.

I'd buy one if it didn't suck air into the tube during racking. The damn plastic ones do that for me every time no matter what I do to try to stop it so I end up pouring some beer in the outer tube but it gets sucked through too.

Good points on all counts... Once I get one that I like made, I'll see about getting a few more for 'testers' to use...

I was already thinking of going with high grade silicon for the seals, or something equally great/food grade.

I've seen the air in the gap where the tubing connects up... I might get them to make the cane with a barb fitting on the out end, to make adding tubes easier.

What do you guys think, should I go for a 3/8" or 1/2" cane size? I'm thinking of getting it all made at the same time/place so that I can be sure of a proper (tight) fit where needed.

Do the current SS canes have a screen on the end?

Something that just popped into my head, it shouldn't bee too difficult to get a SS mesh screen to go on the end of the siphon tube for people that are dry hopping with whole hops. Maybe even have it so that it has enough tension on the opening (of the screen) that it just rests in a groove (on all the autosiphon tubes) to make it stay on during any normal use.

IF I can get this done up right, I think it could make a lot of people's brewing easier. Still, need to get it designed and find some place to make the first few. I'm probably going to draw up the modifications as I envision them, to help my friend out... I'll be hooking up with him after work this coming week. He's got some empty bottles to return to me, and I have some full ones to give to him. :rockin:

I'd be interested if the seal is heat resistant (silicone?) and if the cane is 1/2 inch OD like the large size autosiphons so I can use 3/8 ID silicone tubing (this fits perfectly on my 1/2 inch plastic AS). What's the patent situation on the autosiphon - possible problems there if you're going to sell these?

I would use one, siphon hot liquids, brett, lacto, and other nasty bugs ... this would be a winner.

Well I just ripped mine in half wrestling my siphon tubing off, so I'd definitely be interested in one if it wasn't absurdly priced.

KingBrianI said:
I'd buy one if it didn't suck air into the tube during racking. The damn plastic ones do that for me every time no matter what I do to try to stop it so I end up pouring some beer in the outer tube but it gets sucked through too.

I get this too IF I use starsan but not if I use iodophor. I think it's the "slickness" of starsan.

I'd also be interested in an SS unit too.

I would use one, siphon hot liquids, brett, lacto, and other nasty bugs ... this would be a winner.

Those are some of the areas where I think the SS version would really 'shine'.

Now that I know there's at least some interest, I'll work on this more.

Keep the feedback coming guys.

:rockin:

I've always wanted to make one. Plastic wears out on me every year. A stainless version would sell like crazy. I guess it would sell to the brewers that brew enough to warrent one. :D

I would like to see a 1/2" version and like everyone else said a silicone tubing and seals would be great. I use 1/2" silicone for everything.

Stainless would be a great option for an autosiphon, if, as has been mentioned, the price is not absurd. I would love one. It will be interesting to see what kind of design you come up with. 1/2" looks like a good choice. 3/8" seems to take a long time to drain even five gallons, and using that for a ten gallon batch does not seem practical. Good luck with your project, it is a sound idea.

Here's another thought, If the cost of making a "typical" total SS auto-siphon would be too high but people are interested in a 1/2" model for use with silicon tubing, why not make a hand operated peristaltic starter? It could just be a few wheels that are in a device you just grip and slide down the tube to start the siphon, spring loaded to disengage. Then all you'd need to provide would be a 1/2" cane with a tip. Easier to clean with fewer product contact parts. Might not work but just a thought.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump

Dibs on beta tester.

I'm sure a SS autosiphon would cost a fair bit. A lot of people are stating if it's not too expensive, but it'd be nice to know what people think is too expensive, as it may not be that realistic. Even a plastic autosiphon is hardly what could be called inexpensive, and for SS you'd be looking at minimum several times (probably many times) the cost.

Which, personally, I wouldn't mind paying a fair bit. I've spent quite a bit of money on my brewing equipment, and several hundred dollars just for stainless steel quick disconnects - I've paid quite a premium to go with stainless/silicone everywhere I possibly could. But I know many people are a lot more frugal than I am...

I see the hardest part as being the one way valve at the bottom of the outer tube and getting a good seal to the cane. I've given thought to both and have designs in my head for both. It will all come down to how much work it will be to make both items. I've given thought to the way to retain the seal at the bottom of the cane. Depending on the level of work involved will determine the cosr of the item.

I want this item to be as simple as possible to both make and maintain. The less moving parts the better. I'm also looking to make it compact similar to the plastic offerings. I don't see this as a complicated item, just a matter of getting a working design.

I've got a couple of ideas how you can accomplish the one way valve if your interested or taking ideas. If you need I can whip up a cad file and send it over too.

Shoot me a PM with an email address. So we can discuss. Right now I'm willing to review any ideas for the guts. I already have ideas for parts but the valve part is rather important. It also needs to be designed so that its easy to clean and sanitize fully. Especially for people who will be using bugs with it (and then wanting to use it for regular brews).

Every year or so someone starts a thread like this, and it never seems to pan out. So I hope you are more successful. But you might want to read through some of the other threads, there were some ideas about the bottom valve issue.

Any suggestions on what to search under? Don't see anything in the bottom links. If someone else has done some of the design work already, if might make it easier.

I'm not one to give up easily. It might come down to finding the right place to make the first few and then go from there.

I would like to see a 1/2" version and like everyone else said a silicone tubing and seals would be great. I use 1/2" silicone for everything.

This and the other concerns everyone has expressed in the thread. I love my auto-siphon, but man, you drop that thing a foot and it cracks. I typically go through about two a year for this reason. Would love to see a stainless version available.

You know they have a patent on the design of the autosiphon, right?

That is why there isn't a SS one available commercially. Or a competitor to the existing one, even.

You know they have a patent on the design of the autosiphon, right?

That is why there isn't a SS one available commercially. Or a competitor to the existing one, even.

Not according to the US patent office. There is a similar patent from 1977 (expired), but nothing for that design. This has already been discussed in the threads Revvy linked above.

orangehero said:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/more-durable-auto-siphon-190634/

I think likely the cost to make a SS autosiphon could get you several plastic ones instead.

Definitely, but durability is only a small point for some of us - although I'm sure with the rate people seem to have to replace them, it would likely pay for itself *eventually*for many, if not most people.

But mostly, I've gone to significant costs to making sure the only materials touching my wort/beer are stainless steel, silicone, and glass (the ONLY exceptions, out of necessity, being autosiphons, my pump, and a sintered stone for dissolving O2 into my wort.) But the O2 stone can be boiled, and I sanitize my pump by recirculating boiling wort before cooling/transferring it into my fermenter, and recirculating a boiling oxyclean solution afterwards.

So the autosiphon is quite literally my most vulnerable piece of equipment by far, with regards to infections and spreading them. The durability would help with this somewhat, by not allowing small cracks and scratches to easily form and harbor bacteria, but stainless and silicone also have some other properties making them much more sanitary. The lack of porosity makes it incredibly difficult to harbor bacteria, much easier to clean *perfectly*, and a breeze to sanitize. The ability to even boil the thing in a large enough pot (you'd really only need boiling water to cover half of it, and just flip it upside down to get the other half) would also be fantastic.

You see, some people say that if you brew sours, you should really have two sets of all the plastic equipment - one for normal beers, one for beers with bugs - in order to help prevent infections due to cross-contamination. Even I have often said it, but I still don't find it ideal. For instance, I have a Lambic and a Berliner Weisse in fermentors right now. In case you're unaware, Berliner Weisse uses ONLY brewer's yeast and lactobacillus, while Lambic uses pretty much everything. Having only one autosiphon for sours means risking the contamination of a beer like a Berliner Weisse with, as I said, pretty much everything. Why does it deserve being exposed any more than my non-lacto beers? I've also recently acquired an oak barrel in which I'll be using for Flanders Reds, and picked up all 3 White Labs May/June platinum collection yeasts, which in addition to Belgian Wit 2, includes the Orval strain (which I'll be using to make an Orval clone) and the new American Farmhouse Blend. That's 3 more beers with bugs, and so pretty soon I'll have a total of 5 such beers all going at (or around) the same time, not to mention I'll obviously be brewing others in the future as well.

Again, current practice is to share one autosiphon between all these brews, even though they can still infect each other the same way they can infect "normal beers". Granted, the high acidity many of these develop can make them more resilient, especially as the beers continue to acidify over time, but they are by no means infection-proof, not to mention that, although I generally stick to primaries only, many of these beers require quite a long time to ferment and thus should be secondaried, whick requires racking (and thus exposing) them fairly young - the big exception being lambic, which specifically should not be secondaried even if fermenting/bulk conditioning for 3 years or longer. Although as mentioned before, lambic is inoculated with pretty much everything, so that one is mainly problematic as a large source of possible infections.

But despite the fact that sours don't deserve unintended infections any more than normal beers IMO, it's unreasonable to own an autosiphon for normal beers, and then one for every single sour I brew. Right now I'd be looking at having to own six, and buying even more every time I decide to brew a new kind. And that's not even taking into account how often these need to be replaced.

But just because I stick with just a couple autosiphons right now doesn't mean I find it to be anywhere near ideal. I would pay a fair chunk of change to have a high quality, durable, and sanitary autosiphon made of stainless and silicone in a heartbeat. If you compare it to buying so many autosiphons as I outlined, just a single one would still be the more sanitary solution, AND wouldn't take long to be the cheaper solution too. In fact, unless you abuse the heck out of the thing, it should be sufficiently durable that, given enough time, it ought to be cheaper than buying - and inevitably replacing, repeatedly - even just 1 or 2 plastic ones.

So yeah... I would much rather own one of these, even at a significantly higher cost, than going with your brilliant idea, TYVM.

Not according to the US patent office. There is a similar patent from 1977 (expired), but nothing for that design. This has already been discussed in the threads Revvy linked above.
That's because the company that designed the autosiphon is a Canadian company. The patents are registered in Canada, and the US and Canada share IP rights across the border thanks to NAFTA, among other agreements.

They print the respective patent numbers on the package, even. Or, at least they used to when I got mine.

I use a SS cane and CO2 to push beer around. Anyway I was trying to help this project by linking the other thread, since no one had bothered to search for it. Good luck with your infections and all, don't let it keep you up tossing and turning though!

orangehero said:
I use a SS cane and CO2 to push beer around. Anyway I was trying to help this project by linking the other thread, since no one had bothered to search for it. Good luck with your infections and all, don't let it keep you up tossing and turning though!

That's nice, but not everyone kegs. I'm not saying the link wasn't welcome or appreciated, but did it really need to be followed by a statement as obvious and as asinine as "I think likely the cost to make a SS autosiphon could get you several plastic ones instead"? No shít.

Emjay, you talk about sanitization and sours but I don't think even an ss would necessary be 100% safe in that regard. There's going still be at least on little silicone gasket or a valve of some sort that would not be made of ss, and there would be a gap that could be a bacteria risk.

To me it's value would be in being able to rack while the beer's still hot. You could rack boiling hot if you wanted, and nearly gaurentee wort sterility.

Of course racking boiling or near boiling would ensure that the ss autosiphon would indeed be sterile.

Emjay, you talk about sanitization and sours but I don't think even an ss would necessary be 100% safe in that regard. There's going still be at least on little silicone gasket or a valve of some sort that would not be made of ss, and there would be a gap that could be a bacteria risk. To me it's value would be in being able to rack while the beer's still hot. You could rack boiling hot if you wanted, and nearly gaurentee wort sterility

If it is all SS and silicon, you can put it in your oven and kill the bacteria. I would like to try racking boiling wort into my pyrex carboy, sitting in a bucket of ice water.

Well I just ripped mine in half wrestling my siphon tubing off, so I'd definitely be interested in one if it wasn't absurdly priced.

I did the same over the weekend, so I'd be interested in a SS model. As for price, I need to replace the plastic model every year or two, so I would be willing to pay 2-3 times the price for one that would last.

Revvy said:
Emjay, you talk about sanitization and sours but I don't think even an ss would necessary be 100% safe in that regard. There's going still be at least on little silicone gasket or a valve of some sort that would not be made of ss, and there would be a gap that could be a bacteria risk.

To me it's value would be in being able to rack while the beer's still hot. You could rack boiling hot if you wanted, and nearly gaurentee wort sterility.

Of course racking boiling or near boiling would ensure that the ss autosiphon would indeed be sterile.

You're right, I think I even said it's not 100% guaranteed, but it's a heck of a lot better than plastic, and can even be boiled.

I thought I would re-post this message since it was lost on the bottom of the last page:

That's because the company that designed the autosiphon is a Canadian company. The patents are registered in Canada, and the US and Canada share IP rights across the border thanks to NAFTA, among other agreements.

They print the respective patent numbers on the package, even. Or, at least they used to when I got mine.

That's not to say that you cannot make and sell something similar. But I would at least try to make sure that you aren't going to get sued out of existence before deciding to start a business. I mean you have to wonder why nobody else makes a similar product already when it would take all of a day to line up a Chinese manufacturer to make a copycat.

I do plan to have everything in the autosiphon made to easily withstand boiling temps, and above. So you would be able to sterilize it via boiling, baking, or autoclave (if you have one)...

I'm working on the mechanical aspects of the valve, as well as how to ensure the siphon gets started easily.

After reading that threads have been started (didn't come up in my search though :/) it's become a challenge to me. To the point where I simply MUST get at least a working prototype made. Simply put, I'm not going to accept failure. :D

Just saw the thread links from Revvy... Actually that helped me to do the first (rough) design of the business end of the main tube. I was really over-thinking it I think. Should be easy/cheap to make too. For the cane, it's just a matter of making the bottom end create a good seal to the inner wall of the other tube.

Not sure what pricing will be to make this, but I can't imagine too much since I've just really simplified the entire design. Basically, the main tube will be two fitted parts that will be easily cleaned. The racking cane will just need a slight modification to hold the seal to the main tube. Just need to get it drawn up so that I can get some prototypes made and go from there.

Yes... Totally interested. I am tired of them showing age after only a few batches. I guess you can't use water that it is too hot when cleaning, but cold water never cleaned anything very well. Those damn sediment blockers always fall off and get lost too! If you could make one that screws on that would be awesome. Keep us posted!

Doubt I'd have much use for one, but I'd probably buy it to help the cause. As long as you don't outsource production to China or similar! ;)

You could avoide the valve issue by using the same method used by the Simple Siphon products
http://www.simplesiphon.com/products/
I see a simple siphon attached to a ss racking cane. Slide that into a ss tube and pump up and down in the tube. No need for a super tight interference fit, just use the larger ss tube as a guide to reduce splashing. Just a thought.

Oh yeah, and like Revvy I like the idea of moving boiling wort to an HDPE bucket under a no-chill process. That would be awesome.

Back