Cure for major temperature changes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scra99tch

Reaction score
I wrote this for another forum un-related to brewing, thought you might like. Feel free to chime in.

I have been brewing for about 2 years now but not consistently. I was having a major problem with temperature changes in my house as it is 90 years old and drafty. These temp changes were a bane to my poor little yeasties which in turn would make them puke out some horrible flavors. So through some scrounging around and careful procuring of essential materials I built this.

1157342213_QHuLr-L.jpg

1157342242_xsDJY-L.jpg

1157342262_JAC8g-L.jpg

The temperature probe will sit directly in the middle of solution as the turbulence created by yeast farts brings the sludge to the top it cools and drops to the bottom. This will keep the solution circulated and will pull the heat off a heating pad attached to the side of the carboy.

All in all I spent about $68 dollars on the whole setup. If I were to buy something equivalent it would cost me $180-$230. Hope it works as I have about a 30% failure rate of my beers.

Very nice build. What are you going to do to keep it cool when it gets hot? I have got to start figuring this out myself. I think I have an entire walk-in closet I can dedicate to a ferm chamber....just need to figure out how to keep it cool in the summer.

My basement stays relatively cool during the summer. I won't be able to lager though during the summer months. For that I will need a freezer. I'll probably do a similar setup for a chest freeze.

Back