Primary Fermenter Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txag2007

Reaction score
I have been brewing beer for a while and I would like to try a batch of wine. I have noticed that most of the starter kits come with a 7.9 gallon bucket as a primary but I would like to use a 6 gallon glass carboy if possible so I can use it to brew beer as well.

Is the wine going to foam and cause a blowoff if I use a 6 gallon? Do I need a 6.5 gallon or larger for a 6 gallon wine kit?

Thanks.

I get a bigger krausen with beer, so I'd use the biggest fermenter for beer, too. I use a 7.5 gallon bucket for beer, and often the same bucket for a wine primary. For a wine secondary, I use either a 5 gallon carboy or a 6 gallon carboy, depending on the batch size.

One more thing

If you make a fruit based wine, most require fruit to be placed into the fermenter for the first 7 days or so in a nylon bag.

so, if you plan on going beyond commercial kit types, you might want to invest in a bucket or a carboy with a wide opening at the top anyway

Thanks for the replies - I went ahead and ordered the 7.9 gallon bucket for my primary along with a Winexpert kit. Wish me luck.

Back