SWMBO Slayer Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quixand

Reaction score
Doing the extract + specialty grains recipe of this beer, using the following recipe.

3 lb. Wheat DME
2 lb. Extra Lght DME
8 oz. Caramel 10°L
8 oz. Flaked Wheat
4 oz. Caravienne Malt
1 oz. Willamette

My LHBS didn't have Flaked Wheat, or Caravienne Malt, so the guy who runs the place replaced the Flaked Wheat with Torrified Wheat, and the Caravienne Malt with Carahell.

Everything sound good?
Do I use the volume with the subbed ingredients as the original?

Those are fine subs, you can leave everything else where it is (not sure what volume you are refering to). I wouldn't steep the wheat, without a basemalt you'll just be extracting starches (which lend haze and reduce the stability of the beer). Other than that it sounds like a fine pale wheat beer, what sort of yeast are you using?

Oldsock,

Didn't have WLabs WLP400 so I took a Wyeast 3942 Belgian Wit.

If you don't mind me asking, what should I do with the torrified wheat if I don't steep it with the rest of the caramel and carahell?

**Edit** This is for a 5 gallon recipe.

My LHBS didn't have Flaked Wheat, or Caravienne Malt, so the guy who runs the place replaced the Flaked Wheat with Torrified Wheat, and the Caravienne Malt with Carahell.

Everything sound good?
Do I use the volume with the subbed ingredients as the original?

Sounds fine to me. I've made this recipe 5 times, SWMBO loves it, (lives up to it's name). Those subs shouldn't be a problem. I would go ahead with the same measurements, it'll be fine!

Should I steep the torrified with the rest of the specialty grains or no?

Should I steep the torrified with the rest of the specialty grains or no?

Think what oldstock was saying was that you'd be better off doing a partial mash rather than just steeping. However, if all you can do is steep, then throw them in. Otherwise, when are you going to add them?

Just know that you won't really get much use out of the torrified wheat if you steep it - it's the kind of thing that needs to be mashed.

I would hazard to say that if you steeped it or left it completely out you wouldn't know the difference. The reason the grain is in there is for improving body, but you can only get the benefits by mashing it. Instead, sub in some carapils. It will also add some body, although it will be body in the sense of unfermentable sugars, whereas the wheat would add some thick proteins to the beer (if mashed).

Well....I've never done a partial mash before...can I do it with extract brewing materials?

Would I just put the torrified wheat in a mesh bag and let it steep only for a longer time, than toss it into another pot of heated water for sparge?

Just know that you won't really get much use out of the torrified wheat if you steep it - it's the kind of thing that needs to be mashed.

I would hazard to say that if you steeped it or left it completely out you wouldn't know the difference. The reason the grain is in there is for improving body, but you can only get the benefits by mashing it. Instead, sub in some carapils. It will also add some body, although it will be body in the sense of unfermentable sugars, whereas the wheat would add some thick proteins to the beer (if mashed).

I don't have an AG setup, and since I'm unfamiliar with that process, I'd rather not jump into that yet, as my brew day is tomorrow.

Can I still do a partial mash for the torrified wheat using my extract gear? If so, how?

Since torrified wheat hasn't been malted, it doesn't have much enzymatic activity. Without enzymes, you won't get any of the starches and proteins that are present in the grain into the beer.

There are two options: do what I mentioned above about subbing carapils (which doesn't need to be mashed to get its benefits). Or conduct a mini-mash:

What you would have to do is sub out the 2 pounds of light DME with 3-3.5 pounds of two-row pale malt. Put all of the grains in a mesh bag, and steep in 153* water for an hour. Then lift the bag out of the hot water, pour some more hot water through the bag to rinse the grains, and then proceed like you normally would (add wheat dme, hops, boil, etc).

Steeping the wheat with the two-row will take advantage of the barley's enzymes. I know getting into partial mashing is a big step, but it's not that difficult if you keep it simple.

If you're not ready to take that plunge yet, and you don't want to sub out the wheat for carapils, just make it how you were planning. It's not going to ruin the beer. It'll be great, in fact. Just know that you'll basically get zero usage from the torrified wheat.

Kanzimonson....thanks for the heads up...looks like I'll be heading back up to the LHBS and swapping the torrified wheat for the carapils.

Should I plan on a 1:1 on the carapils? 8 oz?

That sounds good to me! You have three grains that are contributing some body and unfermentable sugars. The total of 1.25# seems like it'll provide a nice sweetness in the finished beer, which is definitely appropriate for a SWMBO slayer!

Since torrified wheat hasn't been malted, it doesn't have much enzymatic activity. Without enzymes, you won't get any of the starches and proteins that are present in the grain into the beer.

There are two options: do what I mentioned above about subbing carapils (which doesn't need to be mashed to get its benefits). Or conduct a mini-mash:

What you would have to do is sub out the 2 pounds of light DME with 3-3.5 pounds of two-row pale malt. Put all of the grains in a mesh bag, and steep in 153* water for an hour. Then lift the bag out of the hot water, pour some more hot water through the bag to rinse the grains, and then proceed like you normally would (add wheat dme, hops, boil, etc).

Steeping the wheat with the two-row will take advantage of the barley's enzymes. I know getting into partial mashing is a big step, but it's not that difficult if you keep it simple.

If you're not ready to take that plunge yet, and you don't want to sub out the wheat for carapils, just make it how you were planning. It's not going to ruin the beer. It'll be great, in fact. Just know that you'll basically get zero usage from the torrified wheat.

Yes. This has made me want to take the plunge into partial mashing. No fear. Although I have a question: When/how long does the additional items in the recipie, i.e. the caramel and caravienne malt need to be steeped? Also, I assume that the 2-row pale malt would need to be crushed, yes?

Ah..."Put all of the grains in a mesh bag, and steep in 153* water for an hour." I believe this answers my first question. Read it a bit too quickly it looks like.

If you are still not into going PM right away and you are on a time frame, you could get malted white wheat from Great Western. This has been malted and therefore shoud be able to be steeped.

If you are still not into going PM right away and you are on a time frame, you could get malted white wheat from Great Western. This has been malted and therefore shoud be able to be steeped.

I disagree... just because a grain has been malted does not mean it can be steeped. If you steep wheat malt, you'll just be adding starches to your beer (not sugars). If you attempt to ferment this wort, the final beer will still have all those unfermentable starches in the beer, contributing to a higher FG, a starch-hazed beer, and a raw grainy flavor.

Wheat malt needs to be mashed.

Back