Killer Wort Chiller Deal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiGibbs

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just received the Immersion Chiller I ordered from Mt. Washington Homebrew Supply. Ran across them while surfing the net. They must have some old stock on copper because I got a 50' chiller for $29.95. Plus they give you a $10 discount for the first order. Total delivered was $31 and some change .... Check it out:

http://www.brewbyyou.com/Brewing Equipment .htm#Wort Chillers

:ban: :ban: :ban:

Now I can use my 25' for a pre-chiller.

Jimi

Seems like a great deal, but no pictures makes me nervous. It just says wort chiller coil. Does that mean you have to add all of the fittings and everything, because that would be extra money and time spent.

I was a little leary of the no pictures also but thought it was worth the risk. That's why I waited until I received it before I posted anything. Wanted to make sure it was a good deal. It includes the hose with a female fitting for the "water in" held on with hose clamps. Not sure if they are stainless or plated but that's easy and cheap enough to change... I'll try and get a picture posted this evening.

Sounds pretty good, i might have to get the $20 one that is 25' to use for a pre-chiller.

Here are a couple pictures ... Sweet Deal.
2567-DSC05372.JPG

2567-DSC05370.JPG

Can't wait to try it out ...

That's a great price just for the copper, even if you used it for something completely different. If I hadn't just made one, I'd be all over that. I'll have to see what else they have for sale, if their prices are THAT good.

I bought the same exact one from them several months ago. I couldn't believe the price either. I don't think they do the best job coiling the copper. They don't look as pretty as what you might get from someplace like B3; but it will certainly do the job. I'll probably use mine as a prechiller in the summer months, because I also picked up a Shirron plate chiller, brand new, off Ebay for $65.

I just paid over $30 for a 25' length this past weekend..... home depot. Thats without fittings and tube.

I might buy one of those too...

Did anyone who ordered this get an order or shipping confirmation email? I ordered 3 2 days ago and did get an order confirmation page at the end of the order process, but have seen nothin in email from them.

Just wondering.:D

No, I didn't get a confirmation. After about 4 days I emailed them with the order number from the transaction and they sent a reply that they made them to order and that it was shipping that day. Came a few days later ....

Due to the drastic price increase of copper tubing, we must pass this increase on to our customers. Last year we were paying $.45/ft. for copper tubing. Late this year the price has risen to $1.22/ft. Our cost to produce a 25' wort chiller has jumped from $16.25 to $35.50 and 50' wort chillers from $27.50 to $66.00. As you can see we must increase prices as follows:

25' wort chiller $43.95
50' wort chiller $71.95

We are unable to fill your order at the old price and understand that you may cancel your order if you wish. Please advise us what you wish to do with your order.

Thank You
Don Merrill
Mt.Washington Homebrew Supply
Littleton, N.H. 03561

djmerr said:
Due to the drastic price increase of copper tubing, we must pass this increase on to our customers. Last year we were paying $.45/ft. for copper tubing. Late this year the price has risen to $1.22/ft. Our cost to produce a 25' wort chiller has jumped from $16.25 to $35.50 and 50' wort chillers from $27.50 to $66.00. As you can see we must increase prices as follows:

25' wort chiller $43.95
50' wort chiller $71.95

We are unable to fill your order at the old price and understand that you may cancel your order if you wish. Please advise us what you wish to do with your order.

Thank You
Don Merrill
Mt.Washington Homebrew Supply
Littleton, N.H. 03561

Any lawyers on here who can say whether this is even legal? I placed my order with these guys yesterday, under the old price as listed on their website. I submitted my credit card info and was told that the deal was done. Now I get this email today saying that they're not going to honor the transaction because their prices went up? Shouldn't they have thought of that before they made the deal?

Is this breach of contract?

Legal or not, it's a pretty slimy business practice. Shame on Mt. Washington Homebrew Supply.

DiegoProf said:
Any lawyers on here who can say whether this is even legal?
Not a lawyer, but there's nothing illegal about that...they've explained the situation up front and offered you an alternative. If they hadn't shipped some at the old price it would just be considered a plain ol' bait-and-switch. I am of course assuming that they haven't charged your credit card for the higher price.

I was afraid that would happen but it is no big deal. I definitely think that trying to take legal action against them to get them to honr the order is completely inappropriate. So, they had some in stock that they had made previously and, once those were gone, they realized that their cost to make more was far greater than their previous asking price so they had to change the price and they let all of us know why. In this case, I actually appreciate them giving me a valid explanation as to why they cannot honor the order and I plan to order some other things from them since they have great prices on other stuff.

It's the same thing that happens when Amazon.com or someone lists the wrong price for an item and gets swamped with thousdands of orders once the mistake hits the internet forums. Instead of bashing them for cancelling these orders, we should be supporting them since they did honor the orders they could and went to the trouble of giving everyone an explanation and offering to either cancel or continue the order. Think about it, would you want your LHBS to go out of business or have to raise prices on everything they carry because they had to honor 5,000 internet orders that they were losing $40 apiece on??? :D

Complete BS!

I recieved the same price change Email today.
I sure won't spare any time/expense to spread the word about their poor business practices.

I understand that prices go up..... fine. THEN DON'T ADVERTISE THE WRONG FREAKING PRICES.

I'm done now.

They probably got a flurry of orders before they could get the website updated (how many people here tried to place an order, and how often do you think YOUR LHBS gets around to updating their websites?)

It sounds all above-board. Nobody was injured in this, they just didn't get the opportunity to force Mt. Washington to take a loss.

Yeah, I'm not really following the logic here. Was anybody else offering their old stock chillers at old copper prices? I think 95% of the businesses out there would have sold the old chillers at the new chiller prices and not even offered the price in the first place.

If only the gas companies were this forthright in their pricing...

hmmm.... seems pretty straight up to me. They did what they could to fill the orders they received and when they ran out of product they sent an email that said that new stock was going to be more. Not only that, they took the time to sign up here and post in the thread about their product. Sounds like they went "above and beyond" rather than trying to be deceitful.

I guess you might be happier if they had simply changed the part number and then canceled your order outright when they were unable to source copper at the same price they purchased it for last time?

A 25 ft coil chiller for $44 with free shipping is still a pretty good deal...

There should be no one whining out there. The reality is this. They had a couple that were premade and priced where they were still taking a profit. Obviously within the last couple of days, their stock was bought out as a result of the original post in this forum. They then realized that with the price of copper having gone up, there was no way to still make a profit at the original price. In fact they would have taken a loss. They replied responsibly and professionally. For any one who missed out, that's simply life. When I was shopping around for mine, I scoured the internet for the best deal. Their website wasn't impossible to find and they had better prices than any one else. Everyone here had the same opportunity. Yeah it sucks if you miss out on a good deal. I've missed good deals myself; but just accept it and stop crying about it and theatening an honest businessman's reputation because you want to be a baby!

Back