Tools/gadgets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerN

Reaction score
I just bought a bench crown capper the other day to replace my old capper.
I haven't used yet but I can see it saving a lot of time.
What is the best labour saving gadget you've bought?

Roger.

I'd have to say the auto-siphon. One push and there you go.

Oh I forgot, I finally got (made) a wort chiller. I think that's my most time saving gadget now. Used it yesterday and it did reduce time to a point. The waters flowing out of the tap now at about 85f+ so it only gets me so far... Will be great in the winter months.

My other great gadget is a "Little Bottler". It has saved so much time when bottling my beer. Not to mention the mess I always managed to make. The dog doesn't get to drink as much beer this way though.

Roger.

desertBrew said:
I'd have to say the auto-siphon. One push and there you go.

Oh I forgot, I finally got (made) a wort chiller. I think that's my most time saving gadget now. Used it yesterday and it did reduce time to a point. The waters flowing out of the tap now at about 85f+ so it only gets me so far... Will be great in the winter months.

Last time I brewed I made a "pre-chiller". I filled up a five gallon bucket about halfway with ice and water and coiled my water hose (inlet for the chiller) inside the bucket. I dropped my chilling times considerably.

ORRELSE said:
Last time I brewed I made a "pre-chiller". I filled up a five gallon bucket about halfway with ice and water and coiled my water hose (inlet for the chiller) inside the bucket. I dropped my chilling times considerably.

I thought I read someone else here who used ice water in conjunction with their chiller. I was thinking it was the water source and couldn't figure that one out... So your still getting water from the outlet and then the hose is sitting in ice water. Hmmm. Will have to try that one out if I got you right.

Another new gadget I used this last go-around was an airator for the fermenter. I have one of those electric pumps for pool toys and used that connected to my sanitized siphon hose to give it a nice blast of air. Around $10 at most stores (Walmart). Serious airation.

Was the 1st time I used a carboy for my primary and my initial pitch didn't do squat after 8h. This was also my 1st AG so I started to panic; thought of this and pitched some more. 1 hour later it was started.

in place of the aerator i have a large whisk that i chuck into my cordless. i had our shop modify the handle to accept a chuck. works nicely in the aeration - plus i don't have to worry about cleaning an aeration stone and the like

Latest posts

Back