Too many hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon Morris

Reaction score
Further to my bad taste post....

The over hopping sounds like a very good cause, i had a pint in my local the other night and it had the sour taste but it was no where near as strong.

I used 2 1/2 oz of fuggles hops ans 1/2 oz of bramling cross hops both whole and both in the boil for 90mins.

do you think this is the cause to my problem????

Sour or bitter?

Bittering has to do with the hops and souring has to do with sanitation (mostly).

Are you perhaps getting the two terms confused?

DO NOT THROW THE BEER AWAY ! ! !

You could always brew another batch without a lot of hops and mix them into a better brew. Start out with a 50/50 solution and change the ratio from there.

You could always use it for marinating your steaks too!

yes it would be bitter, i know every thing was clean i was extra carefull. for a 40 pint batch would the above hop make the beer quite bitter?

Simon Morris said:
Further to my bad taste post....

The over hopping sounds like a very good cause, i had a pint in my local the other night and it had the sour taste but it was no where near as strong.

I used 2 1/2 oz of fuggles hops ans 1/2 oz of bramling cross hops both whole and both in the boil for 90mins.

do you think this is the cause to my problem????

Boiling 3 ounces of ANY hop for 90 minutes is certainly going to make a beer bitter. I plugged those numbers into Promash (I'm assuming 40 pints is 5 gallons?) and it came up with 76 IBUs. That's uh, a tad bitter I would say. :D
My suggestion is to let this beer sit for a LONG time. Hop flavors and bitterness degrade over time.
Or you could do as HB_99 said and brew another batch with very little hops and mix the 2 together.

ORRELSE said:
Boiling 3 ounces of ANY hop for 90 minutes is certainly going to make a beer bitter. I plugged those numbers into Promash (I'm assuming 40 pints is 5 gallons?) and it came up with 76 IBUs. That's uh, a tad bitter I would say. :D
My suggestion is to let this beer sit for a LONG time. Hop flavors and bitterness degrade over time.
Or you could do as HB_99 said and brew another batch with very little hops and mix the 2 together.
You could solve this problem another way, send it to me, I'll drink it as is and let you know how good it was!!!! :p

Simon Morris said:
I had a look at promash what is a target IBU to aim for? or that is the normal range?

Simon,

That's not too bad an IBU for me? Many of the IPA's here in the States are around 60-70 IBU's now. We have so many now that are 90-100 IBU's (Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, Hop Rod Rye, Lagunitas IPA, etc.)
Mmy guess for a normal IPA would be 60 IBU's, 45-50 for a regular Pale Ale.

Sounds good to me! I split the batch w/ Orrelse!!! :p
DeRoux's Broux

Simon Morris said:
I had a look at promash what is a target IBU to aim for? or that is the normal range?

Depends toptally on what kind of beer you are going for. Typical American IPAs along the lines of Stone IPA or Anchor Liberty Ale range from 40-72 IBUs according to BJCP standards.

The key for you I think is to go back and look at that recipe. I think you might have read it wrong, and those hops were supposed to be added in at stages during the boil. Not only will that cut back on the bitterness, but it will flavor the beer with hops as well, and create a much more balanced product.

Back