Gluten Free Milk Stout Comments on Recipe please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boysbrew2012

Reaction score
So I am brewing a GF milk stout for the first time and would like some inputs.

Recipe is below. I read multiple sites and the goal is to mask remove or replace the Sorghum sake flavor it provides beers which is why you see a bunch of different additives. If anyone has feedback on appropriate qtys to input I will take them.I feel a bit like I am throwing everything in the kitchen sink into this which is why I am here asking for help. Everything listed is on hand so feel free to adjust measurements or suggest other things to add to make this a drinkable stout :mug:

Grains

4 lbs of toasted buckwheat

Malt Extract

3.3 lbs of Sorghum (i have an additional 3.3 lbs if you guys think i should increase to 6.6 lbs)

3 lbs of Honey
14 oz of Candi Sugar D180
3 lbs of Corn Sugar
42 oz of Agave
8 oz Malto Dextrine
4 lbs of Lactose
1lb 5 oz brown rice syrup

Hops

1 oz East Kent Goldings (@ 60)
1 oz UK Fuggle (@ 60)
1 oz East Kent Goldings (@ 20)

Yeast
Safale -04 with 1 lb brown sugar yeast starter

Cocoa Nibs in secondary:rockin:

my basic calculations for a 5 gallon have this at a 9% abv...10 gallon would make sense....but at this rate I will take any sort of refinement to this recipe.

Something seems wrong here. If I read correctly you have over 18 pounds of ingredients that contribute to gravity. My quick and dirty calcs show that would be a pitching gravity of 1.143 for a 5 gallon batch and 1.072 for a 10 gallon batch.

I have no experience with Lactose and I have never seen anybody use it. If you have not already done it, I would search on others advice that have used it and see if you want to use Lactose.

Have you used a lot of E.K. Goldings on sorghum based batches?

I have made stouts before using the hop choices and times added.....never done a GF stout. Regarding the lactose, it is what makes up a milk stout and is a key ingredient in any milk stout gluten free or not so in this case it is a must but if anyone can help me out here with the tweaking of the recipe im all ears. Yea its an S-Load of fermentables so if anyone out there has a milk stout gluten free recipe i'l take it

I would take out the corn sugar and replace it with brown rice syrup. Up the D180 and/or add some D90. Use a smidgen of coffee to replace the lack of coffee roasted flavor you would have in a normal stout. I would also lower the lactose. I have never used more than 1# per 5 gallon batch. I normally go with 12oz.

A batch size would be helpful. Honestly, I would recommend the no non-sense stout on here as a base. It seems to get really good reviews. Hope some of this helps.

Thanks guys every little bit helps. Im aiming for a 5 gallon here. The tricky parts are the grain bill as most GF grainbills use millet and rice.

You can understand my concern for ballpark stout flavor. Coffee add in was a no brainer so thanks for validating that!! Good advice!!! Any particular coffee you would recommend?? I was thinking a hazelnut or vanilla coffee...anyone know what volume i should aim for...1-2 cups for a 5 gallon batch or do I need to think 6-8 cups?

Regarding the Corn sugar replacement...done ...i was going to blacken the buckwheat as I read on here its used more for coloring than anything else.

Thanks again I really appreciate the help and guidance....#TOTALGlutenFreeNOOB

No problem. You might have too many fermentables for 5 gallons. You might want to drop the honey down quite a bit.

I would add 3-4 oz ground dark roast coffee from your favorite coffee joint to replicate the coffee roast flavor of traditional roasted barley. 1/2-3/4 a lb for a full on coffee stout.

With regards to the coffee addition, I would stick with a plain (coffee flavored) dark roast coffee. You have a lot going on already and adding a flavored coffee would muddy things up a bit. The coffee in this case would be there almost exclusively for roast flavors. But if forced to choose flavor, probably vanilla.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

OK So i think i have a great revised recipe here going for 2 gallons...let me know your thoughts and feel free to comment on changes or additions you feel would round this out

1.5 lbs of Sorghum Extract
1 lb of brown rice syrup

Hops
.15 oz of East Kent Goldings @ 60
.25 oz of UK Fuggle @ Flame Out

Yeast
Safale 05

Additives
Dark Candy Sugar on 3rd day of fermentation (72 hrs)

In Secondary Ferm:

1 oz Cocoa Powder
2 oz Coffee Grinds

Back