Strange color and smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan0186

Reaction score
So I have been fermenting now for two days and tonight I noticed that my beer is orange. It looks like the color of the inside of a pumpkin. It also has a orange or orange zest scent to it. Is an American wheat ale supposed to smell, look and taste like that? I drink wheat ales all the time and have never had one like this. Is this just part of the process and its going to mellow out later or am I going to have orange flavored beer? Lol.

I was waiting for you to say it has stripes.....seriously. Beers do weird things during fermentation. Don't stress it will turn out fine.

Um, did you add orange to it? I'm sure folks will want the recipe to figure this out.

It was the American wheat beer from Northern Brewer. I didn't deviate from the prescribed ingredients. Don't have the ingredients list in front of my but I do remember adding the malt extract and willamette (spelling?) hops. When I get home ill post he rest of the ingredients.

Do you have it in a carboy? When I did the Irish blonde ale, it looked darker. However when poured into a glass, it was nice and straw yellow.

What temperature are you fermenting at as warmer temperatures will produce more fruity esters and most likely that is what you are smelling but all yeast will produce different smells at different times. As for the color, I wouldn't worry about it as that too will change as the yeast drops

The beer is 2 days old,stop worrying. The color is from the shear volume in the fermenter. It'll lighten up in the bottles/glass.

I'm trying to keep it between 60 and 70 degrees. It's a battle though. My house is constantly 78-79 . Swamp cooler is doing a decent job though. For my next batch I will def have my fermentation chamber built

Latest posts

Back