Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgordon80

Reaction score
So I licked up and got a keezer from my inlaws. My father in law says to add priming sugar when I keg. What say the forum?

Are you force carbing or natural carbing?
Either way you will need a co2 tank to dispense you beer.

I think it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

If you do keg condition (add sugar), then the beer will need extra time to clear, since you just restarted fermentation. In addition, your first pour or two will be very yeasty.

I just force carb with gas from my tank.

I prefer to carb with CO2 and not priming sugar. I want to keep as much gunk out of the keg as possible.

davekippen said:
I prefer to carb with CO2 and not priming sugar. I want to keep as much gunk out of the keg as possible.

I have a CO2 tank. I'm new to kegging so I was looking for a general consensus on with method is preferred. He mentioned force carbing changes the flavor, is that like bottle vs draught? This forum rocks with all the advice btw.

First off, where are your from? I'm asking because I don't know what "licked up" means. Also important to know what keg means? sanke, corney or the english keg that would be like our bottling bucket?

I use sugar simply because I have more kegs than taps currently and I like to have my beer carbed and ready when space is available.

I've both force carbed and natural carbed and see no difference ao long as my math is correct.

Personally, if I had the means to force carb all my kegs I would and eventually want to just for the simplicity of it.

mikescooling said:
First off, where are your from? I'm asking because I don't know what "licked up" means. Also important to know what keg means? sanke, corney or the english keg that would be like our bottling bucket?

*Lucked up. Fat fingers and typing on a damn iPhone. Kegging into 5 gallon ball lock kegs.

OK, we were typing at the same time. Some say natural carbing gives s smoother carb, with lots of micro bubbles. CO2 is cleaner, faster, and most people do it this way. You can force carb but it's not as good as letting it sit on gas for at least a week. You can force carb then let it sit for a week and it will be pritty good or you can just let it sit on gas for 2 weeks and it will be better.

mikescooling said:
OK, we were typing at the same time. Some say natural carbing gives s smoother carb, with lots of micro bubbles. CO2 is cleaner, faster, and most people do it this way. You can force carb but it's not as good as letting it sit on gas for at least a week. You can force carb then let it sit for a week and it will be pritty good or you can just let it sit on gas for 2 weeks and it will be better.

Ok thank you. Sorry about the typos. This phone drives me insane.

If I'm putting the keg straight on the gas, I don't add priming sugar. If it's going to condition until it is that keg's turn to go into the kegerator, I add some priming sugar to the keg to allow it to condition and carbonate at room temperature.

kscarrington said:
If I'm putting the keg straight on the gas, I don't add priming sugar. If it's going to condition until it is that keg's turn to go into the kegerator, I add some priming sugar to the keg to allow it to condition and carbonate at room temperature.

My plan is to keep a Newcastle clone (my favorite) a wheat (wifes favorite) a stout (my other favorite) and a kind of seasonal on tap. I plan to brew to keep these kegs full so would you prime or force carb in this situation?

My plan is to keep a Newcastle clone (my favorite) a wheat (wifes favorite) a stout (my other favorite) and a kind of seasonal on tap. I plan to brew to keep these kegs full so would you prime or force carb in this situation?

If I had enough gas and taps I would force carbonate.

Not knowing how many taps you have available, and how many kegs you have at your disposal, I would have to say - it just depends!

For my setup, I have a 2-tap kegerator, and a total of 5 corny kegs. If I have an empty slot in my kegerator, I would put the keg directly on gas in the fridge. If the fridge was already full, and I knew the keg was going to be sitting around in my garage for some time, I would add the priming sugar, in addition to hitting it with some CO2 to seal the lid and purge the oxygen.

ETA: That is a great style to have available. I have brewed 2 batches of Jamil's "Nutcastle" and both times it has been fantastic!

kscarrington said:
Not knowing how many taps you have available, and how many kegs you have at your disposal, I would have to say - it just depends!

For my setup, I have a 2-tap kegerator, and a total of 5 corny kegs. If I have an empty slot in my kegerator, I would put the keg directly on gas in the fridge. If the fridge was already full, and I knew the keg was going to be sitting around in my garage for some time, I would add the priming sugar, in addition to hitting it with some CO2 to seal the lid and purge the oxygen.

ETA: That is a great style to have available. I have brewed 2 batches of Jamil's "Nutcastle" and both times it has been fantastic!

Ill have four kegs and two taps to start but plan on adding two more taps.

Back