What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent 10 freaking hours assembling an 8x8 shed...I will finally have room in the garage to set up my brewing station permanently. I really envy you folks with basements.

Brewery should be back up and running this week:tank: First up, Yooper's Stone Ruination Clone.

Today I bottled 2+ cases of my Vanilla Chocolate porter.First batch
bottled this year - now the wait-

Cheers

Gravity reading and dry-hopping on my Maris Otter x Simcoe SMaSH.

FG 1.010

2.2 oz. Simcoe - dry-hop

Yeah, it was 2 packages that were supposed to be 1 oz. each. One of them was right on, and the other had an extra 0.2 oz. in it. This almost makes up for how short the packages I used during the boil were (total of 0.5 oz. short on what was supposed to be 3 oz.) The LHBS needs to measure their hops better.

Oh yeah, I tasted the gravity sample and it was DELICIOUS!!! Can't wait to find out what it is like after the dry-hopping and bottling.

This weekend I went up to my buddy's house in the Pocono's and helped him break in his new brew rig. It was his first all grain batch and his first batch of any kind in about 3 years. Everything went great from start to finish and his new DIY rig performed perfectly. We made a 5 gallon batch of Chocolate Milk Stout. Of course I loaded up my cooler with my own homebrew which we happily consumed throughout the brew day. When we were all done I got online and ordered my own grain mill, after I saw how nicely his worked. Here is his new rig in action:

2013-01-26_15-50-31_614_zpsb1bc8dbe.jpg

D@mn! That is a pipeline! :rockin:

That's my sour pipeline - I've got a sorachi wheat aging on rhubarb with cantillion brett, blackberry brett brux 'belgian' stout, blackberry biere de garde with brett clauss, american sour brown ale, 'flanders' red, and ecy bug county lambic. The odd man out is 'belgian' stout that i had a brain fart and pitched weihenstaphaner i had going for a roggenbier - it's awful. Just waiting til I need to carboy to dump it I guess.

I've got a hard time not drinking way too much since I started brewing saisons, I'm going to be a mess for a while when these start maturing. What you can't see are the dozen plus cases I've got bottled, plus my commercial brews. Sometimes I just hang out down there.

Drank 5 LHMS clones while brewing Ragin' Irish Red for March Spring Fling. Homebrews were tasty and buzzy !!
Broke my dam hydrometer so guess'a matin' now for OG.
Also cleaned my unused gear and drew up plans for my outdoor kitchen on the deck - cooking and brewing!!

That's my sour pipeline - I've got a sorachi wheat aging on rhubarb with cantillion brett, blackberry brett brux 'belgian' stout, blackberry biere de garde with brett clauss, american sour brown ale, 'flanders' red, and ecy bug county lambic. The odd man out is 'belgian' stout that i had a brain fart and pitched weihenstaphaner i had going for a roggenbier - it's awful. Just waiting til I need to carboy to dump it I guess.

I've got a hard time not drinking way too much since I started brewing saisons, I'm going to be a mess for a while when these start maturing. What you can't see are the dozen plus cases I've got bottled, plus my commercial brews. Sometimes I just hang out down there.

Wow, I'd love to have a pipeline like that. Going for at least 4 beers on tap at all times while at least having 3 fermenting (All 10+ gallon batches). I drink way too much :ban::rockin:

I'm sitting here, listening to my fermenter bucket burp (blowoff tube installed) and planning my next brew. I'm thinking about jumping right on in to AG.

Stepped up the starter of my bottle harvested Bells Winter White so I can eventually make the famous SWMBO Slayer or some similar wheat beer with it. Then I moved my Kolsch to a lagering vessel, hit it with gelatin, and put it in the cold beer cave for lagering.

I bottled my Pliny the Elder Clone and also filled two 1L soda bottles and carbed them up with my carbonation cap and enjoyed a pint last night. It was fantastic.

Dry hopped a Cascade IPA and kegged 5 gallons of BM's Centennial Blonde Ale. May or may not keg another 5 gallons today and harvest some yeast.

Technically yesterday, but...

- Stepped up a starter for some harvested yeast from a few Great Divide Orabelle tripels (very furious fermentation)
- Pitched some harvested 1056 into another starter (nothing as of this morning, hoping it has started up by the time I get home...)
- Brewed my first small batch (Graff)
- Bottled our first batch of Apfelwein

Racked my imperial stout to the secondary where it'll hang out with some bourbon and vanilla beans for a few months.

ForumRunner_20130128_185044.png

I'm not sure if I did this for beer or not, but I just put 3 gallons of Apfelwein in the fermenter. I've been having a few bitters though, and waiting patiently for ingredients to arrive for a couple of brews that I'm gonna do later this week.

Weighed and mixed my grist, measured out my hops, scrubbed and sanitized, and generally got ready to brew tomorrow morning.

Evening shift allows for mid-day Tuesday brewing...sweet!

Also, scrubbed a bunch of labels off empties - that's got to be my least favourite thing to do for beer.

Made a recipe for a wit that will be for my wife. Im changing it up a bit and am using centennial and Simcoe from a previous brew.

Back