Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Score the basketball as in, The Nets need to score the basketball. For most of my lifetime score was enough

The quarterback position as in: what is needed to play the quarterback position... See above

Pretty awesome. There are no degrees of awesomeness. Either something is awesome or it is not.

And of course the usual suspects of At this point in time and On a daily basis.

Stop it!

Stay cation and vaca I wanna punch babies ( figuratively of course ) when I hear those.

I don't like the far too common use of expletives. And I don't mean only the curse words, but also include those words we use to fill in for them or just to fill space with a bit of emotional emphasis. Does every single thing said demand an expletive to convince me the person is serious? Is the speaker incapable of putting emphasis in a sentence without peppering it with expletives? Try something new: build a vocabulary, say what you mean and use the words themselves or the word order to give emphasis. For example:

"Get out of here!"
"Get the Hell (f, frick, heck, etc.) out of here!"

Is the second really more powerful than the first? The first is what the second is saying, but the second is used to make it an exclamation. Isn't that what the exclamation mark (in writing) or tone of voice (when spoken) is meant to do?

Believe me, as a former NCO, when I raise my voice people know I mean it.

I hate it when political pundits on TV say 'look' right before they give their opinion. I guess it's supposed to be some kind of assertive statement that their opinion is the valid one, but look..... it's just annoying.

Here's one I am personally guilty of. When explaining something with some measure of authority (in my case, often the American Civil War), starting a paragraph with "You have to remember."

No, they dont have to do anything.

Just had to send an email off to a colleague in Saskatchewan - made me think of another one:

Bunny Hug.

For some reason hooded sweatshirst are referred to as "Bunny Hugs" in the province of Saskatchewan.

You ever see a 220lb farm boy hockey playing touch guy whine that he spilled beer on his favourite "Bunny Hug"? It's a sad, sad scene. And not because of the spilled beer - because a grown man is whining about his Bunny Hug.

Than-you, everyone! This post has been cathartic, and helped me work through some deep-seated stuff regarding word choice.

Gangnam Style or _____ Style for that matter. Also, shortening random words, like Creamy mentioned above. My fiancee's sister said "rando" yesterday instead of random. WTF? Just say the whole word!

I hate it when political pundits on TV say 'look' right before they give their opinion. I guess it's supposed to be some kind of assertive statement that their opinion is the valid one, but look..... it's just annoying.

Yes, emphatically.

I agree with many examples supplied here and would like to include the hand gesture for "Quote:Unquote".

With all due respect...

With all due respect? I call bull****. When someone starts out with those words there is no respect coming. Just have the balls to disagree ffs.

With all due respect...

With all due respect? I call bull****. When someone starts out with those words there is no respect coming. Just have the balls to disagree ffs.

Sometimes I'll qualify a comment with "my disagreement is both respectful and complete." Basically "I think you are totally and completely wrong but I dont think you are an idiot"

"Legit." It's okay when it comes from a gangster who's trying to get on the right side of the law in an old movie, it's annoying as hell when a 20 something uses it to refer to everything, as in "the dress is legit red" or "he was legit skiing" or "she was hammered, like, legit hammered, OMG."

In the shortened words category, it messes with me when people use the term "meds" for medicine.
Then there is the usage of "unthaw" while the person is describing the act of thawing something.

In the shortened words category, it messes with me when people use the term "meds" for medicine.
Then there is the usage of "unthaw" while the person is describing the act of thawing something.

Wouldn't unthaw be the act of freezing.

OMG
RDWHAHB
SWMBO
Interwebs
Guesstimate
In it of itself
Spittin' image
Oh snap!

Yes! All of these! Especially SWMBO ... lame.

Plus:
"What had happened was" and pronouncing espresso as expresso. Unless there is some newly invented fast paced coffee out there, just say it how it's spelled!

I second the shortening complaint...besty, vaca, totes, those just hurt.

And it's not just the silly colloquialisms that get me. Words such as creamy, moist, thick and patty are chalkboard-scratching cringe-worthy.

What about how the abbreviate the word "victim" with "vic" in CSI as if they are saving time doing it, or it's a complicated word to get out....

I'll throw one out that is ;) that is very Jersey (it's NEW Jersey thank you). The phrase "Not for nothin, but......" I hear this phrase ad nauseum, around here.

Sorta like "hot water heater"...

Dunno about everyone else but I have a cold water heater or just plain water heater.

"Speaks to."

As in, "the large number of protesters really speaks to the public outrage over the mayor's plan ..."

What's "speaking" and what's it "speaking to?" Why not "illustrates?" "Exemplifies?"

Athleticism.

What? Athletic ability was too cumbersome?

And while I'm bashing sports announcers...

"He caught the ball at its highest point"

Ahhh...no he didn't. If he had caught the ball at its highest point he would have jumped about 60 feet in the air.

Smurfin' Knuckleheads

Heh, guilty as charged. For some reason, I was raised using "dethaw" to refer to the act of allowing meat to thaw out. I make a conscious effort to use the correct terminology now, but every once in a while, I slip up and accidentally say "dethaw," and my wife acts like I just ran my fingernails down a chalkboard.

What about how the abbreviate the word "victim" with "vic" in CSI as if they are saving time doing it, or it's a complicated word to get out....

Or, much more rarely, the opposite problem. As a computer nerd, it grates on me when people are dictating a web address to someone else, and they start out with "double-you double-you double-you dot ..."

It's 3 times as many syllables as just saying what the double-you's stand for ("World Wide Web"), and 99% of the time, they're unneeded anyway! You can just leave them off, it'll still work.

"What's that website?" "Double-you double-you double-you" (*pauses for me to write it down*)....

"Yeah... I got that part, thanks for wasting 3 seconds of my life. Can we pick it up at the relevant part of the URL please?"

On the same theme. "We're pregnant'

No We are not. She is pregnant.

^^^This

I know it's self-evident with a "traditional" couple, but what about a lesbian couple? "Congratulations! But which one of you is actually pregnant?"

You wouldn't say that with cancer, would you? "My wife and I have bad news, guys. We have cancer." "Wow, BOTH of you??? Simultaneously?? What a horrible coincidence!"

I completely agree with the shortening words thing. Most of the time it doesn't even save time and 100% of the time it is annoying.
Also, the different variations of "Holy ____!"
Such as:
Holy guacamole
Holy macaroni
Holy mackerel
Holy balls
I've heard all of those and many more and it's just annoying.

"All's I know is..."
"convo" for conversation
using 'Then' and 'Than' imporperly
epic ...oh i hate that one.

Latest posts

Back