Blender motor ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoulderBayBrewing

Reaction score
Hey all,

So recently I've broken two blenders. The plastic piece that makes the blade spin has broken on both. It seems like a waste to through out a perfectly good blender motor.

Any ideas on repurposing these for brewing?

Cheers!

gear one down and make a mash stirrer? seems like a possibility to me, that or hook one up to a grain mill. but again, with motors that fast you'd have to gear them down.

Don't know what it is about blenders that make them so loud, but the last thing I'd want within ear shot of a mellow brew session would be a running blender...

Cheers!

Every time I destroy a blender it's because the magic smoke came out of the motor. Never have stripped the coupling to the jar. High speed universal motors are too noisy for me to use.

Yeah that noise would be annoying. I Don't have any ideas on how to use them, but just wanted to add that those plastic pieces you've describing as being broken are designed to break at a certain point to avoid over-torquing the motor. So if you've broken two recently, maybe you should look into what you're blending.

but just wanted to add that those plastic pieces you've describing as being broken are designed to break at a certain point to avoid over-torquing the motor.

Buy new drive couplings for your blenders and you've got a perfect use for those motors.

Yeah those little black plastic couplings are pretty cheap to replace. When I worked at a bar we had a box of replacements ready to go. Only takes a minute to swap them out.

Back