Using Kegs as Keggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen many pics of people brewing with "open" kegs.
A couple of questions about doing this.
1) Did you do this because it is cheaper than a brew pot?
2) Is the spigot welded or what / same for the thermometer?
3) Did you have to cut open the top?

What other advantages are there to using a converted keg?

Thanks
Josh

1) yes
2) sometimes welded, sometimes weldless
3) uh, yes. Kegs generally hold pressure, thus they generally come with tops.

Sherpa FE said:
Did you buy a modified "open" keg, or do it yourself?
Personally I bought unmodded kegs. But to answer your question on behalf of the general population in the spirit of my previous answers:

sometimes people buy them pre-cut, sometimes they do it DIY style.

Just like many things in this world, it's a matter of whether you want to (or have the ability to) do it yourself, or would rather just pay someone else to do it.

talleymonster said:
I think Keggles is derived from the word Keg. Otherwise it'd be a kettle!:D

Probably right.

Thanks for all the replies, I will look for a converted Keg, no sense buying a SS pot for $ 280.00 and then have to get or make a false bottom on top of that price.

Seems the keg is a lot cheaper solution. How much longer does it take to boil water in it than a normal pot? Anyone know if there are any disadvantages to a keg?

A keggle can only be made with a keg.
It's a kettle otherwise.

The correct term is actually "the copper".

1. Yes and better (imo)
2. whatever you can get. I think welded is better (use a nipple)
3. I cut the top with a grinder.

yea. try cutting it with a dremel. about 20 tiny cutting wheels and a set of motor brushes later. but it worked for me! actually next time id use an angle grinder if no plasma cutter available.

I used a dremel too. and it did take 20+ cutting weels. took forever, but it worked. i've done two kegs. I don't know if an angle grinder would be faster but a dremel is easier to get in tight places. a plasma cutter would be nice, but that's one tool I don't have.

By placing the guard of your typical angle grinder against the top lip of the keg, you can achieve a nearly perfect round opening. If you DIY be sure to leave enough of the top in place to rest a lid on. A bit of sanding is required as well to round off the edge...unless you like blood and danger in your brewing.

Likewise a toothpick may or may not be the right tool.

Alright, now I am really going to (possibly) make an ass of myself.
My wife's doctor (she is pregnant) advised her to do some keggles.....I looked at her kinda funny and I then got more explanation about ******l exercises than I ever cared to. Anyone else ever hear of this? It just makes it kinda funny, a bunch of manly(or not) beer swilling guys talking about keggles. Oh well, seemed on topic

PlS. evidently the perfectly benign medical term for a va jay jay...(did that make it through?) or a woman's parts got censored. funny.

:cross:
cheezydemon said:
Likewise a toothpick may or may not be the right tool.

Alright, now I am really going to (possibly) make an ass of myself.
My wife's doctor (she is pregnant) advised her to do some keggles.....I looked at her kinda funny and I then got more explanation about ******l exercises than I ever cared to. Anyone else ever hear of this? It just makes it kinda funny, a bunch of manly(or not) beer swilling guys talking about keggles. Oh well, seemed on topic

PlS. evidently the perfectly benign medical term for a va jay jay...(did that make it through?) or a woman's parts got censored. funny.

That would be kegels exercises not keggles:)

Man on the second page already and no one has taken a jab at Beirmuncher yet, i am really disapointed :(

Just ask Beirmuncher how to cut a keggle! There done, ;)

Cheers

Edit: I didn't see Bike N Brews jab sorry, guess i was a little rushed in my response.

wop31 said:
Man on the second page already and no one has taken a jab at Beirmuncher yet, i am really disapointed :(

Just ask Beirmuncher how to cut a keggle! There done, ;)

Cheers

Edit: I didn't see Bike N Brews jab sorry, guess i was a little rushed in my response.

Er…uh…

I was napping…

Sorry…what was the question?

Oh…yeah…

What’s a properly prepared keggle look like???

Keggle_3.JPG

And don't forget to get your high tech measuring device installed. :D

Keggle_4.JPG

For some reason it just occured to me that your "high tech" method of measuring gallons shows where the 5 gal mark is....... WOW... TONS of room left on the keggle I've never used. I think that means I HAVE to switch to 10 gallon batches.

I don't need to mark mine.

I fill to the half way mark and boil down to the top of the of the bottom dimple.

30l= ~8 US Gallons
23l= ~6 US Gallons

KISS :mug:

Latest posts

Back