Spring water for brewing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

latestart

Reaction score
I've been brewing (13 batches at this point) with my well water with good results, but I use a water softener and I'm looking to experiment at this point. I was considering using Poland spring water to see if I can get better results.

Any comments / concerns with using Poland spring water?

Thanks.

probably get better beer with spring water that has its natural minerals.

water softners exchange calcium for sodium which will affect beer flavor.

go for it.

check out a pur one water filter for your tap ,youll be very impressed with it ,your beer bud bull

bull said:
check out a pur one water filter for your tap ,youll be very impressed with it ,your beer bud bull

Still have water softener inline... I think thats what he's trying to eliminate.

JoeRags said:
Still have water softener inline... I think thats what he's trying to eliminate.

that's correct, I'm trying to eliminate the water softener to see if that's negatively affecting the beer taste.

The spring water (all data I've seen on suppliers web sites) have the following:

magnesium: 0.7-1.9 ppm
calcium: 3.5-9.5 ppm
Bicarbinate: 13-28

This results in a mash PH of approx. 5.72 according to Palmer's chart. Is there any negatives to the low minerals in the spring water?

Take it from one who knows.....
It's Deer Park BRAND spring water.
Who knows which spring it comes from, or it could be blended.

About 5 years ago, Nestle made this switch with thier spring waters.
Poland Spring can be from anywhere, same with Ozarka, Zephyrhills, Deer Park, and Arrowhead, oh and one more Callistoga.

Your are better off with RO water then adjust to taste!

I think Poland Spring is usually pretty high on the mineral content.

Manadnok has only one source and has worked out very well. Recomended by my Homebrew shop owner.
Good mineral content. I've brewed a large range of beers without any additions with good results.

Typically, the spigots on the outside of your house are taken off the main water line before the water goes through the softener (your grass doesn't care if the water is soft or hard). So you can try using water from your garden hose instead of your kitchen sink. And you could always put the water from the garden hose through a water filter.

I also wouldn't waste $$ on moland spring or other "premium" brands. I get generic grocery-store-brand spring water for $0.80/gal.

Evan! said:
I also wouldn't waste $$ on moland spring or other "premium" brands. I get generic grocery-store-brand spring water for $0.80/gal.

Likewise, I use walmart spring water that rolls for something like 65 cents a gallon (the tap water tastes awful). The only modification/adjustment I make is adding gypsum for my IPAs.

Does your softener have a bypass valve on it?
Bypass the unit, run a few gallons out at the sink to clear the lines, and then brew with unsoftened water.
When you're done brewing, switch back to softened water.

Back