Beer Packaging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
Hey Everybody, I want to ship a few beers to various parts of the country. I have already utilized the search function and learned that it is technically illegal. I'm ok with all of that. I got some good ideas from reading all of people's posts.

What I want to know is how you guys actually package the beer to survive the shipping and (mis)handling of the chosen courier.

I saw somebody said something about using the poster cardboard tubing. It would seem that that wouldn't leave much room for any kind of stuffing/shock absorber.

I was thinking about mailing 4 per pack wrapped real good in bubble wrap, peanuts, etc.

How do all of you guys do it?

:tank:

Bubble wrap and peanuts is what I do.

I'va received packages that used lots of newspaper.

I am sure you have read this but, don't ship with USPS. UPS is what most use I believe.

Sam Calagione from DFH learned, after getting angry letters from the USPS, to first send with a private carrier (Fed Ex, UPS, etc), and also to label them as "yeast samples" when he was required to by the carrier... That solved his problem.

And, as far as I recall, it's not actually illegal to mail them, unless the carrier is the actual US Mail.

Many people use 6-pack boxes, but put 3 beers in it, staggered so none are next to each other, then fill the remaining space with soft padding, then wrap it all.

Also, double boxing (one box holding beers + padding) inside another larger box (all padding) would help too.

kvh

i dide my last few in six packs, put bubble wrap SECURELY between each bottle, bubble wrap on the bottom, top and sides. i work in shipping and send glass every day.

basically you don't want the bottles to clang against each other even if it is thrown against a wall. hell, you don't want the bottles to move at all...pack that bubble wrap TIGHT! and you want at least 3" of THICK bubble wrap between the outside box and the bottles. that's my general rule and i never have any problems.

EDIT: and btw, if you are sending UPS or FedEx (or really any carrier) expect your package to be thrown, kicked, and have a forklift run into it. pack accordingly.

The ones I shipped, I believe made it. I just used lots of bubble rap, some tape and put it in a big zip lock bag. I also shipped USPS.

Latest posts

Back