barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipapat

Reaction score
so some time ago i found a great sight on the web selling used barrels out of newyork.

It started with t. I booked marked it. Fast forward 4 months and my hard drive took a crap.

They sold 15, 30, and standard used spirit barrels.

Any ideas?
I cant find them on google now.

update, email then too see if they have any on hand. It varries all the time from what i was told.

Be aware that smaller barrels have a lot more oxygen exchange than bigger ones, due to a much higher surface area to volume ratio; be careful doing long aging in them.

My first barrel took a good 3 months to get a good layer of brett on top. That was in a 15 gallon barrel. How long would you say is too long?

I have read Wild Brews about the O2 exchange.
Any one have any exp with small barrel aging?

anyone?
oldsock?
ryane?

you guys are my go to guys.
lol

30-60 is way too much for me to brew on my current 5 gallon system.

even if i was on a 10 gallon that seems epic.

I've never used smaller barrels, although we may do something in a 30 gallon rye barrel from a new/local nano distillery. I think you'd be fine leaving it for a "normal" amount of time, just give it a taste every few months and pull it if it starts getting too much oak/vinegar.

You could get a group together to fill a big barrel, that's how we started out and the results have been great.

oldsock thanks for the heads up.

I'll get a wine thief this week and taste test it. Its sitting on 5 months or so.
Barnyard is very apprent in the nose on this barrel along with nose mango tropical fruit sort of odors.

Back