CO2 regulator pressure relief "buzzing"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeybeer

Reaction score
So, I got a kegging setup from for Christmas .. I don't have much space at all for it, and opted for a 20oz CO2 tank, I can fill it at Dick's sporting goods for 3.99 near my house.. I used an aluminum adapter that was advertised on here to connect it to a dual gauge regulator..

When I got it hooked up to the keg, closed the valve and went to screw the bottle on, the pressure relief (with the ring on it) starts blowing out CO2 and opening and closing really quick making a buzzing noise and causing the gauges to jump around..

I know it isn't normal - is there anything else I should check ??

That sounds like the pressure relief might be broken. Talk to the guy at KegConnection about it.

EDIT: Also I don't understand how the valve can be closed and there is CO2 coming out unless the valve is broken...are you absolutely sure the valve was closed? In fact it sounds like maybe you had it cranked all the way open and the pressure relief was doing what it is designed to...

The first thing you want to do is tighten up the knobs (clockwise to close) on the regulators to make sure they are closed. Then ONE AT A TIME open them up a little bit. You shouldn't need more than 30 PSI on your primary and the secondary is going to be your serving/carbing pressure.

Oh sorry I misread..you just have one regulator. So you want that all the way closed, then you close the valve from your CO2, connect, slowly open the valve on the CO2, then slowly open the regulator valve until you get to serving/carbing pressure. The first pressure gauge which shows the CO2 pressure in the tank isn't particularly useful. Typically it will read a super high pressure (500-800 PSI or thereabouts) right up until you run out of CO2, then it will read zero.

So I called KegConnection, and it isn't one of their regs !
Now to find out where it came from .. maybe the Beverage Factory ?

Thanks for the tips.. I tried again and same thing :(

EDIT : I didn't mention that this guy was awesome on the phone.. he had no idea what type of regulator it was, and didn't know where it came from- but really gave it a shot !! most companies would have given me an it's not mine, and hung up, but he stayed with me and gave it a shot.. Since Kegconnection.com uses a locking up/down pressure release valve and the one I had was spring loaded, he couldn't help too much but was SUPER nice considering !

Ok .. figured it out ! It's a micromatic Regulator from Homebrewing.org - Gave them a call and he sorted it out, great guy and really helpful - the problem was the knob was turned up too high, I backed it all the way out, screwed the tank on and all is well ..
I hope this thread helps someone in the future !! Thanks for the quick response !

Back