Yeast dying after bottling???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonsimoneau

Reaction score
Ever since I bottled my porter, I've had carbonation problems. The bottles make a slight psssst sound when opening, but have now been bottled for 13+ weeks and the beer is still flat. Did my yeast probably die? I did add the priming sugar, but didn't let it cool down before I added the beer to the bottling bucket. I'm guessing that's what did it in. Can I add a tweezer amount of yeast to each bottle to pick up the carbonation? I am using pop tops and I'm pretty sure they are sealed. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

How many bottles have you tried? It seems unlikely that the small amount of hot liquid could ransack the entire batch and kill em all. But I have never done that and have not experienced it so maybe someone else can chime in. Everything I have read says to cool the sugar liquid down before adding it.

The hot priming liquid shouldn't be an issue. How long was your beer in primary and/or secondary before bottling? If we're talking many months it could be possible that the yeast dropped out of suspension so there was very little, if any in your bottles at bottling time.

But even then, unless it was more than about 3 months that is still kind of unlikely.

But to answer your question, yes, you can add a a couple granules to each bottle and recap and that would hopefully get them carbed if it really is an issue of no yeast in the bottle.

Are you using bottles with caps or swing tops? I have found that sometimes the swing tops don't seal properly and while they may have a small amount of CO2 which is what you hear when you open it, most of the CO2 may have leaked out.

Thanks everyone. I am using pop tops and I'm sure they are sealed. Also, it was in the primary for 10 days and secondary for 3 1/2 weeks. I did move the secondary to a slightly colder temp to help in the settling. I don't think I did anything other than the ordinary and it never saw extreme temps. Has anyone added yeast to their bottles to help with carbing up?

I never cooled the 2cups of boiling water before mixing it wout my wort prior to bottling, and have never had an undercarb issue.

If there is any amount of yeast in the bottle, and you have a good seal, they should eventually carb up. After 13 weeks, I think it is most likley that you didn't have enough priming sugar.

Back