First Partial Mash recipe help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatFishGuy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Just did a big group brew with some buddies I introduced to brewing this last weekend, and i feel that im ready to move on from all extract brews. Because of warmer temps in the house though, I was thinking a hefe would be best. I like the sounds of the honey hefe recipes i looked up, but i didnt see PM conversions. So what are your favorite honey hefe recipes? (partial mash)

Thanks,
Sam

ps. i dont know if it helps but i really like the sam adams summer ale. so if there are any PM clones of that i would like that too.

after taking a second look i really would like to try edworts bee cave bevarian hefe, but i didnt see a partial mash version. If someone could let me know how to convert it that would be awesome.

Deathbrewer- so if I wanted o switch an AG recipe to PM could i cut the grain bill in say half, and then sub in some DME (3lbs?; 1lb light +2lbs wheat) for the rest?

-Sam

Well, you'd just sub the malts with DME, there really isn't any need for PM. There isn't alot of malt complexity in a hefe, that comes from the yeast.

Wheat DME is a mix of barley/wheat, so the mix is already done for you. You could try Homebrewer_99's hefe recipes, too- they are very similar, but HB99 uses extract and a partial boil.

Edit: here's the link to HB99s extract/PM recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=32811

alright, I like HB99's, but i wanted to try something just a little different. I would have asked first, but the LHBS was going to close so i went and bought some goodies. what i got:

2 oz Domestic Hollertau (loose leaf 3.9%AA)
3lbs. wheat DME
1lb Light DME
3lbs Red German malted/crushed wheat
1lbs Munich malt 6row
1.5lbs honey (orange blossom)
WLP 350

so what do you think, there's extras but some things were only sold in prepackaged amounts. what do you think is the best honey hefe I can get. The guy at the store said to use all the munich and wheat in a PM...but this seemed like alot of grain in addition to the DME. does .5 Oz of the hollertau sound right? sorry for all the q's, i dont have any fancy brewing software. Thanks everyone!

anyone? i know its only been 2 hrs but i would like to do it tonight if possible. thanks again.
-Sam

looks fine man. go for it. i don't know what WLP350 is tho. i use 300.

EDIT: You only need a small amount of bittering hops for a hefeweizen. i'd only use 0.75 oz for 60 minutes.

Well, it will get the job done...

Throwing the recipe in www.tastybrew.com/calculators/recipe.html , and comparing it to a traditional bavarian weizen because I dont think they have a honey wheat to compare it to, your ABV is a little high, but if you only use 1 oz. of hops at 60 mins your IBUs should be right on, and your SRM looks good. You probably dont need to add any late addition hops, as you wouldnt want too many hop flavors in a wheat beer, it is all about the yeast's clove/banana thing going on.

The biggest concern I would have is that your 3lb Red German/Wheat Malt have enough enzymatic action going on to convert the 1lb of Munich, which needs some help. I think it will.

What I might do... And I am relatively new so feel free to totally disregard this... is go with 2lb. of the Red German and 1 lb. of Honey. If you got a 70% efficiency on your PM the final product would still be higher ABV than a traditional hefe, but not by much. There is a good chance you will get less than 70% efficiency, due to A) it being your first time and B) the utility of the enzymes in the wheat to red german to convert the munich it might fall right into line where it belongs.

However, I also have little regard for actual style guidelines when brewing, and might just keep the recipe with all of the grains as you have them, and accept the fact that it is 1.1 ABV higher than standard. The most important sticking point would be the hops, while I am a hophead a wheat doesnt want to be overly hoppy, just a nice bitter to balance the flavors and sweetness, so probably stick to only 1 oz. at 60. If you wanted a bit more hop character go with .5 oz at 60, .5 oz at 45, and .5 oz at 30. This will probably drown out the honey though.

Like I said, I am relatively green and am not entirely helpful. But hopefully I could provide a start and someone else can correct me and improve upon what i said...

oh sorry the yeast is WLP 351**** not 350. its the platinum strain bevarian yeast. I know its to true to "bevarian style" but thats ok...im trying to really stay within the style, but rather borrow from its flovors. but thanks for confirming my recipe. i'll make sure to let you guys know how it goes. even if its not exactly right.... figure i have to experiment sometime. this is my first time using leaf hops, first recipe not from a kit, and first PM. muuuuahahaha wish me luck

have fun, brother. it should be tasty.

dont be too restricted by style. i do, at least in some hypothetical world, want to be able to brew a representative of each style so i know what kind of model i am changing. but i have neither the $ or the time to do so. So I figure I will just have to drink so commercial examples and brew what is delicious to me. I am sure that in the near future, though, as I am listening to ALL of Jamil's podcasts in a row, I will brew one of his recipes trying to be as true to the style as possible. Only time will tell. In the meantime, enjoy yourself some beer!

Latest posts

Back