Is this ok for an American Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFC5058

Reaction score
I came up with this partial mash recipe and was trying to experiment with slightly unorthodox grains, but I'm not sure that I will have enough of that caramel flavor found in many APA's. Should I stick with 2-row or use a Crystal 60L? I'm afraid that the crystal will make the beer a bit too dark if unused in conjunction with the roasted and special b.

Due Cugino Pale Ale
Batch size: 5.0 gal

Boil volume: 3.0 gal
OG: 1.059 - FG: 1.015
Bitterness (IBU): 44.1
Color (SRM): 13.1
Estimated ABV: 5.8%

Grains:

6.00 lb Light LME, 68.6%
2.50 lb Two-row (US), 28.6%
0.12 lb Roasted Barley, 1.4%
0.12 lb Special "B" (Belgian), 1.4%*

Hops Used:*

Chinook
Cascade
Willamette

Yeast/Misc:*

American Ale II Activator Wyeast
Irish Moss - boil 15 min

I'm personally not a big fan of crystal in an APA so I wouldn't add anymore than the Special B that you already have. You will get some crystal like flavor and color from the small amount of roasted barley as well. If I were brewing this I would probably add in some biscuit or victory to get a little bit of toasty/bready flavor but the way you have it will be nice and clean as well. An alternative would be to add in some Munich malt as well - that would give you both color and some malty/toasty flavor.

What is your hopping schedule?

1.33 oz Chinook 60 mins
0.25 oz cascade at 45, 30, 15 and 5 mins
0.5 oz Willamette at 5 mins
1.00 oz Willamette Dry hop in 2 week secondary last 7 days

yeah I would personally forgo the roasted and special b and use 1lb. of caramunich 35L as it doesnt really sweeten and adds a nice pale copper color.

Back