Do Bottling Wands Go Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbrack

Reaction score
I have a couple plastic bottling wands and both will constantly drip during the bottling process. I guess the spring valve does not want to shut. Is this a normal thing or should I plan on replacing these wands every so often?

Are there higher quality wands that work better? It's not a huge deal, but, dripping a beer verses being able to drink that beer is not the most ideal you know what I mean? :)

Mine was doing that earlier today, the end had loosened up. I pushed it back on the tube and was good to go.

I got the spring/nozzle area partially clogged once with some adjunct or hop material once while I was botling...took it apart, washed it out, all good.

You might want to dismantle the tip and clean it. I had some hop gunk in mine.

You might want to dismantle the tip and clean it. I had some hop gunk in mine.
/\ /\ /\ /\
This +1

If you aren't already you really want to dismantle and thoroughly clean/sanitize the tip of your bottling wand before and/or after you use it.

Also, the spring inside those things isn't too great so you might get better action by removing and then replacing it the other way round. Slide the little rubber "O" ring off the plunger and give those parts a clean.

I've had times when bottling that some hop debris, or some other type, has clogged the wand, or caused the tip to not fully return and so it kept dripping/leaking, during bottling. I just close the spigot on the bottling bucket, drain the contents of the wand, dismantle the tip and flush/clean/sanitize again, reassemble and carry on. Also a good idea to have another one handy, just in case. Lets face it, they are cheap as chips and an invaluable tool.:rockin:

I lost the spring in mine, it works fine with just gravity. There's probably gunk in there preventing it from closing properly.

Might also want to check the little O-ring around the stem to make sure it isn't damaged deformed or missing altogether. Could also be reasons why it leaks.

Thanks! I didn't realize it could be taken apart. Cleaned it up and hopefully it will be good as new!

Sometimes the spring gets out of whack and you need to stretch it back out just a bit.

no spring in mine....just pops down with the pressure of the beer flow

I went out for a smoke a few batches back and when I came back in my wand had almost completely filled the dishwasher's door with beer.

Luckily I have 2 "backups" or I'd have to cry over spilt beer during every bottling session.

Even a double shot glass of PBW is good to soak it in,& clean it with a soft tooth brush. I think the ber builds up residue on the inside of it. I first put a small dollar store funnel in one end of the hose atached to it,& run PBW through it,then rinse water,& finally starsan to sanitize it. Hang it up to dry & store. I did the same with the little bottler wand for my Cooper's micro brew FV when I still used it with carb drops. Now that I bulk prime with a bottling bucket,I still have to use it to atach a 3/8" hose to the end with the pin valve removed to connect it to the spigot. Then the hose goes into the bottom of the bottling bucket.

I went out for a smoke a few batches back and when I came back in my wand had almost completely filled the dishwasher's door with beer.

That's why if I'm stepping away from the bottling operation, I turn off the spigot. I haven't had more than a few drips per minute from mine, but it's cheap insurance.

Back