Oatmeal Stout Cookies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a homebrew club meeting yesterday, and I mentioned I was bringing some oatmeal stout. I then got a challenge- "Bring oatmeal stout cookies!".

Well, I did. I googled that, and found a good recipe here: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art38667.asp

I changed the recipe a bit. First, I poured a bit of stout and brought it to a boil and reduced it. While that was boiling, I got together the rest of the ingredients. I don't like raisins, so I used walnuts and chocolate chips. I used quick oats. I don't like molasses, but I left most of it in and reduced it just a tad.

So, my recipe was very similar but went like this:

½ lb. butter
2/3 C. granulated sugar
2/3 C. firmly packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon molasses (scant)
3 tablespoons Yooper's Oatmeal Stout (reduced) This was more like 4 ounces cooked down to 3 tablespoons!
1 teaspoon almond extract
1-1/2 C. flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
2 C. quick Oats
1 C. chopped walnuts
1/2 bag of chocolate chips

Mix dry ingredients together, but not the oats, nuts or chocolate. Set aside. Cream butter. Beat in sugar and egg, then the molasses and stout and flavor extract. Stir in the dry ingredients well. Then stir in the oats. Finish by stirring in the nuts and chocolate chips.

Use a full rounded teaspoon and drop the cookies on a greased cookie sheet or parchment paper. I use my Pampered Chef stoneware. Bake at 375 for 11 minutes. Let the cookies sit on the stoneware for a few minutes (they are VERY soft) and remove with a metal spatula to a wire rack to cool.

These cookies are chewy, and not crisp. They were best fresh out of the oven but stayed soft. I took three dozen to the homebrew club meeting. It was a very small turnout, but I only brought home a couple of cookies! They were a big hit.

Yoop these sound amazing. A chewy not crispy cookie has a special place deep down in my fat kid heart. I too dont really care for molasses, how do you think these would be if you skipped that?

Yoop these sound amazing. A chewy not crispy cookie has a special place deep down in my fat kid heart. I too dont really care for molasses, how do you think these would be if you skipped that?

I think it'd be fine, although you can't taste the molasses at all but there is a definite "depth" to the flavor that must come from the molasses.

Great. Now that i have made the dog some biscuits from spent grain the wife and i are on a kick to use as much grains for other purposes as possible. We'll have to try these next.

What a time to be cutting back on sugar and other treats!

I have dropped a few more pounds since restarting my less carbs, less sugars, lots more veggies, some more exercise.

Hey! I lost some pounds, so I can afford to splurge on a few of these cookies!

What a time to be cutting back on sugar and other treats!

I have dropped a few more pounds since restarting my less carbs, less sugars, lots more veggies, some more exercise.

Hey! I lost some pounds, so I can afford to splurge on a few of these cookies!

That was my thinking, too! I actually gave up sugar a long time ago, so it was weird eating a cookie. I saved a couple for Leon, but he didn't stop over like he planned, and I gave Quinn one, so there is one sad alone cookie left. :cross:

I was THIS close to mentioning these to my wife last night. She is dieting with me and has lost some weight as well and I didn't want to get her sidetracked. I'm just happy she is not filling the house up with treats.

Maybe we should just make one batch of these, give most of them away, and eat one each. That way we get our treat and the temptation goes out the door with the rest of the cookies!

Back