Heating Element Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friedpicklechips

Reaction score
I thought about going with Kal's heating element build, but SWMBO took my "fun money" away. So, I utilized what I had laying around in the garage with a minor trip to the hardware store. Here's what I came up with.

cimg0402o.jpg

cimg0403.jpg

cimg0404a.jpg

It's a bit hard to see, but I drilled a hole to accommodate a grounding screw.

cimg0412m.jpg

cimg0413q.jpg

cimg0408t.jpg

cimg0415ez.jpg

cimg0414e.jpg

cimg0409n.jpg

cimg0411u.jpg

I used JB Weld to connect the element to the PVC coupling. I also filled the inside of the coupling (after the wires were in place) with silicone to help stabilize and waterproof.

That's almost EXACTLY how I mounted mine. Instead of the grounding bolt, I just fed the ground wire through the tiny hole. But all in all, it's been working out great for me.

Good luck!

I was doing something similar but could not come up with a good way to ground the element/kettle. How are you planning on using the grounding screw you have poking out of the side?

Msexton:
I plan on connecting the heating element screw to the screw I plan on welding on the keg by a grounding wire.

Back