D2 vs. D180 belgian candi syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had experience using both brands of candi syrup. I have found a couple recipes that include several pounds D180, however, my LHBS only carries the D2 SRM 160 (I understand there are two brands that use D2 as their color rating/ flavor profile?). They can special order D180 but it cost twice as much. Anyways, as far as flavor and fementabilty, has anyone noticed a difference between the D2 with 160 SRM and the D180?

I have used both and they both are good, but I give the edge to the D-180. Better flavor and it seems to ferment down a couple of points better.

http://www.candisyrup.com/

I order enoughh to make the shipping worth it. Their Simplicity syrup is great in Tripels and Saisons. The D45 and D-90 are good in Dubbels.

I have used both and they both are good, but I give the edge to the D-180. Better flavor and it seems to ferment down a couple of points better.

http://www.candisyrup.com/

I order enoughh to make the shipping worth it. Their Simplicity syrup is great in Tripels and Saisons. The D45 and D-90 are good in Dubbels.

Alright, thanks for your input, i was leaning more towards the D180 based on what their website says about their product, however, was worried that they were hyping their products up a bit.

Their Simplicity syrup is great in Tripels and Saisons.

Interesting info here, i had a discussion (regarding light belgian candi rocks and the light belgian candi syrup) with the owner of my LHBS owner, who has been in business since 1991, about belgian light candi sugar and he said that it wouldnt contribute to the flavor or body at all and i might as well use corn sugar if i was looking to up the abv. I am not sure but i am glad i took his advice on using D2 on my last recipe that i made that asked for light belgian candi sugar instead.

Interesting info here, i had a discussion (regarding light belgian candi rocks and the light belgian candi syrup) with the owner of my LHBS owner, who has been in business since 1991, about belgian light candi sugar and he said that it wouldnt contribute to the flavor or body at all and i might as well use corn sugar if i was looking to up the abv. I am not sure but i am glad i took his advice on using D2 on my last recipe that i made that asked for light belgian candi sugar instead.

I think you're confusing two naming systems. D2 is a product of Dark Candi, Inc, stands for "dark 2", and has an SRM of 80. The products by Candi Syrup, Inc, OTOH, use a "D-" followed by the degrees Lovibond (D-45, D-90 and D-180). So a recipe calling for D2 syrup was asking for a pretty dark syrup, equivalent to something between D-45 and D-90, not a syrup with 2 degrees Lovibond.

But you're probably right about the really light syrups being no better than corn sugar (or table sugar, or plain invert syrup).

But you're probably right about the really light syrups being no better than corn sugar (or table sugar, or plain invert syrup).

Many brewers will just use table sugar instead of light candi sugar. I personally wouldn't bother with candi sugar unless it is supposed to add color.

I'm a big fan of the D-180. Buying it from their website comes out cheaper than getting D2 at my LHBS, and for an extra $4 (2 lb order) you can get a kickass stainless steel carafe that you can use to bring beer to a "no-glass" event, or as a water bottle when hiking, or as a general storage container for liquids. And the flavor profile is incredible.s

Back