Recipe Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerSlinger

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for a recipe but I don't know what I'm looking for. Its an all grain stout that has a chocolate roasted flavor to it. Arcadia calls it a starboard ale but its a stronger SA then the cream stout with a roasted flavor......

Any Ideas what I'm looking for? I need to start saving recipes but they are a dime a dozen....Also include some specific instructions for cooking it......I have a feeling I screwed up my first attempt at sparaging.....I cooked it at 170 for two hours because I didn't know what I was doing......I'm leaving the beer for a month before I bottle so the hops should have time to flavor the mix.....

I clicked on "Find More Posts by BeerSlinger". To do that, you click on the person's user name and then select that option. I think you really need to spend more time reading.

May I suggest www.howtobrew.com?

Also though, as you say, recipes are a dime a dozen. If you want something stronger than Starboard Ale, why not just brew Starboard Ale and add a couple extra pounds of malt (or extract). Or toss in a pound of dextrose.

Come to find out what i was looking for was an oatmeal stout. I think what I am most attracted to is the chocolate malt because a beer I just did has many of the same properties that I wanted.

Frankly I'm sick of reading because thats all I've done...I spend 90% of time just reading on the subject and not doing it.........Frankly I'm about to burn this parpazian book and dance around it because I find it hopelessly confusing when it doesn't need to be.........Its overall long on explanation and short on facts......I think that I have relied on it to long and it about time for it to stop because its not a good book.......

I'm also aware that increasing the Malt would increase the overall density......I geared most of my recipes with this in mind......I only said that recipes were a dime a dozen because there are so many of them. Franky i've never had most of the beer, wine, mead or sake out there because all I have done is store bought beer.....

See, but the thing about reading books that other people have read is that it gives everyone a common language from which to communicate to others. Or, to put it more simply, it helps people sound less ignorant.

BeerSlinger said:
Come to find out what i was looking for was an oatmeal stout. I think what I am most attracted to is the chocolate malt because a beer I just did has many of the same properties that I wanted.

So you want to make an oatmeal stout? How many gallons? Extract, extract and steeping grains, partial mash or all grain? Post what you are looking for and someone here can help you.

I have the same feeling about Papazian - I didn't understand his explanation of brewing processes. Try John Palmer's How to Brew - that was easy for me to comprehend.

www.howtobrew.com

If your tired of reading, dive in and do some brewing. Experience is a great teacher.

You can never go wrong with a good extract kit to get things going and get your feet wet. I found that I really couldn't relate to much of the written word until after I brewed and drank my first batch. My first batch was a nice amber Ale extract kit, and shortly there after an oatmeal stout which was a mini mash kit. Honestly just read some of the kit explanations of what the end product should be like and take the plunge. Then you will be hooked as I have been for several years now.

One other suggestion - find a local homebrew club or brewer who will help you. I belong to a brewing club and those guys were great about answering questions when I started brewing. I watched two of those guys brew 20 gallons one day and then I understood the process enough to do it on my own.

We had two new brewers at our last group brew. Both said that it was very informative.

Damn Squirrels said:
See, but the thing about reading books that other people have read is that it gives everyone a common language from which to communicate to others. Or, to put it more simply, it helps people sound less ignorant.

I would agree with that......I just have a problem with my memory....I'm good at processes and not good at facts.........I'll remember doing a beer but forget the ingredients......

desertbronze said:
So you want to make an oatmeal stout? How many gallons? Extract, extract and steeping grains, partial mash or all grain? Post what you are looking for and someone here can help you.

I have the same feeling about Papazian - I didn't understand his explanation of brewing processes. Try John Palmer's How to Brew - that was easy for me to comprehend.

www.howtobrew.com

If your tired of reading, dive in and do some brewing. Experience is a great teacher.

I've found a recipe.....I just posted this because I was trying to fid out the name because I couldn't remember........amount......4 gallons work better for me........I don't know what others do but they wor best in the corey kegs.......

I agree that experience is a good teacher......I remember that there is a real gap between reading and doing.......

tst4echo said:
You can never go wrong with a good extract kit to get things going and get your feet wet. I found that I really couldn't relate to much of the written word until after I brewed and drank my first batch. My first batch was a nice amber Ale extract kit, and shortly there after an oatmeal stout which was a mini mash kit. Honestly just read some of the kit explanations of what the end product should be like and take the plunge. Then you will be hooked as I have been for several years now.

I was thing of that to try sake, cider or mead.....

desertbronze said:
One other suggestion - find a local homebrew club or brewer who will help you. I belong to a brewing club and those guys were great about answering questions when I started brewing. I watched two of those guys brew 20 gallons one day and then I understood the process enough to do it on my own.

We had two new brewers at our last group brew. Both said that it was very informative.

Problem is i'm a late night brewer......and drinker.....

BeerSlinger said:
Problem is i'm a late night brewer......and drinker.....

I brew late at night in the summer to beat the heat. If you're serious about finding an experienced brewer for an advisor, timing will not be a problem. I have had brewers call me at 11 o'clock at night with a question.

JUST DO IT!!!:D

Damn Squirrels said:
I clicked on "Find More Posts by BeerSlinger". To do that, you click on the person's user name and then select that option. I think you really need to spend more time reading.

May I suggest www.howtobrew.com?

Also though, as you say, recipes are a dime a dozen. If you want something stronger than Starboard Ale, why not just brew Starboard Ale and add a couple extra pounds of malt (or extract). Or toss in a pound of dextrose.
Amen Bro.

Member for over a year?

Referred to Palmer 45 days ago?

"Also include some specific instructions for cooking it"

"....so the hops should have time to flavor the mix"

Hmmmmm. :confused:

BierMuncher said:
Amen Bro.

Member for over a year?

Referred to Palmer 45 days ago?

"Also include some specific instructions for cooking it"

"....so the hops should have time to flavor the mix"

Hmmmmm. :confused:

when I was going from Parpazian book I was referring to that stupid list. There are no instruction in it.......He splits recipes up and spoon feeds you information......Frankly I find it confusing and frustrating as hell...

I haven't brewed for a year because my ambitions were too great.....I wanted way more stuff then I could afford so all I bought was hardware so I could do a large volume.......and in January I had a stoke.....so thats where the other half of the year went....I'm still stuck at home because of it......not that I can't drive but the help in my doctors office shares a brain and I think that its been misplaced.....

I never said I liked it.......I just like the outcome......I hate measing stuff and that half of what brewing is........But the big factor was that i'm so sick of store bought beer that its driving me nutz.....

BeerSlinger said:
.......and in January I had a stoke.....so thats where the other half of the year went....I'm still stuck at home because of it......not that I can't drive but the help in my doctors office shares a brain and I think that its been misplaced.....

I'm sorry to hear about your medical problems, but this thread is starting to make sense to me now.....

Sea said:
I'm sorry to hear about your medical problems, but this thread is starting to make sense to me now.....
Same here man.

Sorry to here bout the problems the past year.

Just remember that homebrewing is a realtively simple process and I'd encourage you to join up with a local club and watch and learn.

Sea said:

Really I only like shooting but thats not possible right now....Personally I cook but that doesn't mean that I like it.....But to lean on the little womans domestic skills consists of going to McDonald's......And I was raised around a grandma that cooked everything herself so its absolutely stuipd not to cook......but I like doing things by improvisation......But I don't have enough experience to do that......Right now i'm thinking about doing some small loads to see what I like......I know I like cherry beer so I have done 16 gallons of that (Black cherry...It should be delicious)......But the others I have done 4 and I'm thinking about cutting it down to one or two so that I can try more things......and I can do 6 loads at one time because thats how many corey kegs I have....and that excludes my fermenter and carboy......

But if I wasn't sick of premade beer; I probably wouldn't do it......It makes an awful mess.......and I'm good enough at making messes on my own without help........But I do like it in the fact that there isn't a deposit......Because I live in Michigan....

The stoke has been no big deal because I have 80% of what I had before......I just can't walk the distances that I could before and my arm hurts when the muscles aren't flexed.........That part always puzzled me......

BierMuncher said:
Same here man.

Sorry to here bout the problems the past year.

Just remember that homebrewing is a realtively simple process and I'd encourage you to join up with a local club and watch and learn.

I'm finding its more of a skill then an art or science......that was one misconception I had.......

Sorry to hear about your stroke, we wish you a speedy recovery! It sounds like you are doing well.

I went to a local iron kettle comp and ended up helping a couple guys brew. It was extremely informative, but brewing my first batch was the real eye opener. I would suggest trying this oatmeal stout kit, or maybe this double chocolate stout kit. I have brewed 3 kits from AHB and the directions that come with the kits are great. If you dont like how those look pick another kit, they have tons of options. If you have all the equipment, dive in and get started. Let us know what you end up doing.

Happy Brewing! :mug:

ArroganceFan said:
Sorry to hear about your stroke, we wish you a speedy recovery! It sounds like you are doing well.

I went to a local iron kettle comp and ended up helping a couple guys brew. It was extremely informative, but brewing my first batch was the real eye opener. I would suggest trying this oatmeal stout kit, or maybe this double chocolate stout kit. I have brewed 3 kits from AHB and the directions that come with the kits are great. If you dont like how those look pick another kit, they have tons of options. If you have all the equipment, dive in and get started. Let us know what you end up doing.

Happy Brewing! :mug:

I think the www.thegrape.net is a bit cheaper......But i'll bookmark that.........

When it comes to actually making something, you want directions. Those are included with the kit.

When you want to understand why things didn't quite work out the way you expected, then you need an explanation. For that you need a book (or an online forum).

So read the descriptions on the kits, find one that sounds good, brew it, KEEP NOTES, and then go from there.

Damn Squirrels said:
When it comes to actually making something, you want directions. Those are included with the kit.

When you want to understand why things didn't quite work out the way you expected, then you need an explanation. For that you need a book (or an online forum).

So read the descriptions on the kits, find one that sounds good, brew it, KEEP NOTES, and then go from there.
I would go that route but I have too much DME & corn sugar left. Plus that I would like to cut the loads down but I don't know of a gram scale for the yeast.....But I haven't looked......

BeerSlinger said:
I would go that route but I have too much DME & corn sugar left. Plus that I would like to cut the loads down but I don't know of a gram scale for the yeast.....But I haven't looked......

Gram scale for the yeast? Huh? Just buy a packet of dry yeast and toss it in there. No measurement required.

As for having DME left, www.northernbrewer.com posts the directions to their kits on their website. They also post the entire kit contents... so you can just buy what you need to fill out a "kit".

So now there's really no excuse.. is there.... :D

Damn Squirrels said:
Gram scale for the yeast? Huh? Just buy a packet of dry yeast and toss it in there. No measurement required.

As for having DME left, www.northernbrewer.com posts the directions to their kits on their website. They also post the entire kit contents... so you can just buy what you need to fill out a "kit".

So now there's really no excuse.. is there.... :D
Well I buy packets now.......I buy Ale in the summer and i'm going to buy lauger in the winter but isn't 11g of yeast for 2-4 pints of wort overkill? It would seem like it to me if you use the same amount for 5 gallons.......5 Gallons is almost 19 pints (18.2 I think).......

BeerSlinger said:
Well I buy packets now.......I buy Ale in the summer and i'm going to buy lauger in the winter but isn't 11g of yeast for 2-4 pints of wort overkill? It would seem like it to me if you use the same amount for 5 gallons.......5 Gallons is almost 19 pints (18.2 I think).......

Dude. Just pay $1.25 and buy a damn packet. Measure it out the first time. Then skip the scale and use a measuring spoon. You have one of those, don't you?

You can quadruple, quintuple the amount of yeast in a homebrew primary fermenter without negatively impacting the taste of the finished product.

Even assuming you know how to brew, you really don't have an appreciation for the conventions followed by homebrewers and the reasons why they do things the way they do. There is a method to their madness and you seem rather oblivious.

If you won't read, I at least suggest you join up with a homebrew club. So you can answer half your questions by observation.

Damn Squirrels said:
Dude. Just pay $1.25 and buy a damn packet. Measure it out the first time. Then skip the scale and use a measuring spoon. You have one of those, don't you?

You can quadruple, quintuple the amount of yeast in a homebrew primary fermenter without negatively impacting the taste of the finished product.

Even assuming you know how to brew, you really don't have an appreciation for the conventions followed by homebrewers and the reasons why they do things the way they do. There is a method to their madness and you seem rather oblivious.

If you won't read, I at least suggest you join up with a homebrew club. So you can answer half your questions by observation.

No, I think you really misunderstand my complaint.....I just didn't want to make something that tastes bad.....I don't mind using a whole pack, I just wanted to get a flavor for what I like without negative results or a result that can't be duplicated.......I have measuring spoons but I would image that you would use the smallest one?

I also don't mind reading as long as there is some point to it and it has a result.......Really I grew up in a computer world because I don't mind reading something if I can learn something from it......But I hate reading for entertainment sake.....

BeerSlinger said:
No, I think you really misunderstand my complaint.....I just didn't want to make something that tastes bad.....I don't mind using a whole pack, I just wanted to get a flavor for what I like without negative results or a result that can't be duplicated.......I have measuring spoons but I would image that you would use the smallest one?

I also don't mind reading as long as there is some point to it and it has a result.......Really I grew up in a computer world because I don't mind reading something if I can learn something from it......But I hate reading for entertainment sake.....

I don't read for entertainment either. But your average homebrewer doesn't buy yeast in those packages.

Ryanh1801 said:
I may be drunk, but what in gods name is being discussed in this thread.:confused:
I was trying to find out a beer that I had tried........it was an oatmeal stout........and people were suggesting the best way to try beer......

I have odd tastes so i think i'm going to try a scaled down version and try more kinds in a gallon size.........

I know this thread is quite confusing.......

Damn Squirrels said:
I don't read for entertainment either. But your average homebrewer doesn't buy yeast in those packages.

Well that why I wanted to skip to the end and see how papazians book ended.....becase it seems like that book should have been a pamphlet......

Oh, i've never liked measuring yeast.......i'm a bit lazy that way........and i'm afraid its going to go flat......

Hey man, I noticed no one else noticed this, but you said something about mashing at 170. That's a terrible idea. You will notice a HUGE improvment in your beer if you mash at 150-155 for 60 - 90 minutes. I don't even know if you are having any conversion at 170.

Back