Yeast Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopper250

Reaction score
I'm doing my first high alcohol extract and with a two year old in the house I can't really grow the yeast to the right amount. So I'm asking if using two packages of Wyeast smack-packs would be an effective alternative.

According to Mr Malty, that OG would require 300 billion yeast cells in a starter, and smack packs theoretically have 100 billion cells apiece.

if by chance your yeast was going to be 1056, you could just use 2 packs of fermentis S-05. same strain, but cheaper and no need for a starter

FWIW, a FG of 1.010 from an OG of 1.090 roughly calculates to 89% Apparent Attenuation.

A better goal FG might be 1.015-1.020.

As dcp27 said, you might want to look at dry yeast. 2 packs of dry should be perfect for a batch at this gravity and likely still cheaper than just 1 of the smack packs.

What strain do you plan on using?

I was planning on the 1056 to get a clean taste.

Going dry would work just fine. As the 1056 would get pricy. That would work just fine. Thanks.

Back