Failure to Clear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yattering82

Reaction score
Hi Guys

This my first post on the forum and this is my first batch of home brew. I got all of the kit as a birthday present and I am in the process of making some Pilsner Lager. I brewed it in the fermentation bin for the required time then moved it to a pressure barrel. However the lager just won't clear. It has been in the pressure barrel for 3 weeks now. Still not clearing. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Yattering82

Yattering82 said:
Hi Guys

This my first post on the forum and this is my first batch of home brew. I got all of the kit as a birthday present and I am in the process of making some Pilsner Lager. I brewed it in the fermentation bin for the required time then moved it to a pressure barrel. However the lager just won't clear. It has been in the pressure barrel for 3 weeks now. Still not clearing. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Yattering82

Well since you are just getting in to the hobby I have to ask, have you researched the requirements for lagers? Most new brewers stray away from lagers due to the necessity to ferment the beer at low consistent temps usually by means of a dedicated fridge. Most lagers will in fact take longer to clear due to the low temperatures which slow down the yeast. If you are controlling the temp properly this would be why it is taking time and it will be every bit of two months or more to ferment it like you should.

Yes. I have a dedicated fridge. I had it in there at 5oC but I thought that it was somehow stopping the process so I took it out. Should I put it back in the fridge and just leave it and it should clear?

Yattering82 said:
Yes. I have a dedicated fridge. I had it in there at 5oC but I thought that it was somehow stopping the process so I took it out. Should I put it back in the fridge and just leave it and it should clear?

Put it back in and ferment it around 50 degrees F for another month or so then check your FG. If you have reached your final gravity lower the temp to 40 or so and lager it for another month. The durations are just my guess. Taste it along the way to know when it's good to go. I have not done a lager yet and I'm just recalling off the top of my head on the process but a couple google searches should get you going.

Latest posts

Back