Victory hop devil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndOfTheWorldBrewing

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever seen or know of an extract clone for victory brewing companies hop devil IPA. I just recently brewed an IPA and was wondering how my IBU's stack up against the hop devil.

Thanks

I just brewed the AG version this past Saturday.. I "think" when I put the recipe in BeerSmith it came up with 58 IBU's. If it's different from that when I get home and look I'll edit..

According to Beer Captured:

8 oz each of german munich, german 65 L dark crystal, german cara-munich
4.5# of extra light dme
3.5# light lme
6 oz malto dextrine
2 oz centennial @9.5%

boil 45 minutes and add:
1/2 ounce east kent goldings
1/2 ounce cascade

boil 12 minutes and add 1 oz cascade

ferment with wyeast 1056

dry hop with 1/2 ounce of cascade

I haven't made this recipe, so I can't comment on how good it is.

Funny about the Mongeryville homebrew site don't know why I didn't look there. Thats where I get my ingredients. HA On another note if you live in PA and have not yet had this beer you are missing out.

Thanks guys

According to Beer Captured:

8 oz each of german munich, german 65 L dark crystal, german cara-munich
4.5# of extra light dme
3.5# light lme
6 oz malto dextrine
2 oz centennial @9.5%

boil 45 minutes and add:
1/2 ounce east kent goldings
1/2 ounce cascade

boil 12 minutes and add 1 oz cascade

ferment with wyeast 1056

dry hop with 1/2 ounce of cascade

I haven't made this recipe, so I can't comment on how good it is.

My roomate brewed this one and it came out very similar, we were all quite surprised. He plans to brew it again this year.

Of the three versions above, which tastes best? I was thinking of ordering the AG version from Austin, but if anyone knows of a better alternative... :)

FYI, I will probably supplement some DME or LME to compensate for my low efficiency as I am using a 10g Rubbermaid MLT with no recirculation. I'll use BeerSmith to determine how much extract is needed.

EDIT:

There are also these recipes I found after posting. I'd like to get as much info in one post as possible to make it easy for others looking for a good Hop Devil recipe.

http://beerrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/03/victory-hop-devil.html

Of the three versions above, which tastes best? I was thinking of ordering the AG version from Austin, but if anyone knows of a better alternative... :)

FYI, I will probably supplement some DME or LME to compensate for my low efficiency as I am using a 10g Rubbermaid MLT with no recirculation. I'll use BeerSmith to determine how much extract is needed.

2 things here: kits from AHS are always going to be good- I can't speak for the accuracy of this clone, but they're good at what they do.

Secondly, the 10g Rubbermaid is a standard MLT here- it's what I use and I can count on 78-80% efficiency. Are you adjusting your hydrometer readings for temperature? Are you sparging hot enough to get the grainbed up near 170F? Sparge water temp is one area where the default settings on Beer Smith make no sense to me- sparging hotter bought me several points of extra efficiency.

2 things here: kits from AHS are always going to be good- I can't speak for the accuracy of this clone, but they're good at what they do.

Secondly, the 10g Rubbermaid is a standard MLT here- it's what I use and I can count on 78-80% efficiency. Are you adjusting your hydrometer readings for temperature? Are you sparging hot enough to get the grainbed up near 170F? Sparge water temp is one area where the default settings on Beer Smith make no sense to me- sparging hotter bought me several points of extra efficiency.

Thanks for the info! I'll give the AHS kit a whirl...maybe the first batch through the (hopefully) soon to arrive conical.

Isn't 170F near mashout temp? I've only used the MLT once (last brew day), so I certainly have a bit to learn before getting proficient.

Thanks!

Jeff

Thanks for the info! I'll give the AHS kit a whirl...maybe the first batch through the (hopefully) soon to arrive conical.

Isn't 170F near mashout temp? I've only used the MLT once (last brew day), so I certainly have a bit to learn before getting proficient.

Thanks!

Jeff

Yeah, 170 is a typical mashout temp. If you go much higher, you start extracting tannins, which you don't want to do.
My first batch on my MLT, I got 60% efficiency. Turns out I wasn't sparging well, and probably wasn't eliminating all the doughballs at the outset of the mash.

Back