Emergency!! Sugar is not dissolving.....?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhanna4d

Reaction score
I just bottled my first batch of beer from a kit. For some reason the sugar wont dissolve in the bottle. What can I do if anything?

I used corn sugar and put it directly in the bottle. I know now to boil the suar in water, but is there anything I can do to save this batch?

Just flip over once and after the yeast get to work on it you should see most of it dissapear. But yeah...next time you should dissolve in boiled water which is cooled and then put into the bottling bucket to mix evenly. I would be more concerned about bottle bombs so be careful.

Just flip over once and after the yeast get to work on it you should see most of it dissapear. But yeah...next time you should dissolve in boiled water which is cooled and then put into the bottling bucket to mix evenly. I would be more concerned about bottle bombs so be careful.

I tried that, I even went as far as shaking it up on a couple of bottles, but the sugar just seams to float around and settle back to the bottom. :confused:

No I guess I am not sure. Is there any way I can tell. If it is yeast will it be in the bottle permanently?

naturally carbonated beers have sediment in them. This is why we chill them a few days to let it compact, then pour gently as to not disturb it. Just let it got 3 weeks, chill one for a couple days, the pop the top. you should here the familiar sound.

If you are bottle conditioning (which is what it sounds like) yeast is necessary to carbonate the beer. the yeast in the bottle eats the sugar and makes carbon dioxide gas. The yeast will be there permanently. Usually there is a light dusting to a moderate amount of yeast at the bottom of the bottles in my beers. When pouring your beer don't pour the last 1/4 inch into the glass. :)

The yeast will either be floating in the beer or in the bottom of the bottle. The argument against it being yeast is that it would mostly be in the beer and only drop over time. Sugar does dissolve better in hot liquid than cool, but I'm not sure if it would never dissolve (or at least I'd think the yeast would eat it).

How long has it been? I'd probably just wait until 2-3 weeks after bottling day and see if the beer is carbed. If you have lots of yeast sediment in the bottle, just pour slowly and leave it in the bottle.

Thank you all so much. I was really concerned about the leftover but from what you guys are saying it is normal. I am really excited about brewing this is my first batch and I hope it turns out good....

If it's yeast, leave them alone and they'll keep carbing.

If it really is the sugar, leave it alone, the yeast will find it and it'll keep carbing.

Either way. RDWHAHB!

No I guess I am not sure. Is there any way I can tell. If it is yeast will it be in the bottle permanently?

The answer is Yes. That is as long as there was still yeast in suspension in your beer (which it should be unless it has been stored a very long time). The yeast that is still in your bottled beer eats the sugar and produces Co2 and alcohol. This is hoe\w your beer carbs in the bottle.

You can pour it carefully and keep the majority of it in there once it has been chilled for 3 days or so. Or pour it all and drink it.

Cheers...:mug:

Sugar should have dissolved right away, after tipping the bottle a couple of times. The yeast is normally practically invisible until it settles to the bottom, then it appears as a layer of whiteish looking stuff.

If your beer wasn't very clear when you bottled, then the beer will be pretty cloudy, and you will get a thicker layer on the bottom when it settles. If your beer was pretty clear at bottling, then you might not notice it at all until it settles.

If you used confectioners sugar, that contains corn starch, which will not dissolve. However I believe you said you used a kit, and a kit would NOT have come with confectioners sugar.

So I am thinking it's just yeast.

Next time, boil your sugar in two cups of water and use a bottling bucket. That way you KNOW your sugar dissolved properly, and you sterilized it. So you can rule out any issues, AND you gaurentee even carbonation of your beers.

There's tips to make your bottling session easier, here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

Back