Muscadine wine turns dark and taste bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WD40

Reaction score
I opened a batch of my Muscadine wine(Recipe in previous thread) last night and it was a beautiful red. This morning it is very dark and taste bad and nothing like wine. This was my forth batch out of 6 and all others have been wonderful.

The only thing I can conclude is I didn't add the sugar to this batch.

Any other ideas?

I opened a batch of my Muscadine wine(Recipe in previous thread) last night and it was a beautiful red. This morning it is very dark and taste bad and nothing like wine. This was my forth batch out of 6 and all others have been wonderful.

The only thing I can conclude is I didn't add the sugar to this batch.

Any other ideas?

If you opened yesterday, and it's dark and "sherry" like today, it sounds like it oxidized. Usually, it tastes a bit different the next day but not that bad. Maybe you didn't close it tightly, and a lot of oxygen got to it?

It does really taste bad and I have never tasted anything like it. I have a small sample bottle that I opened a few weeks ago and it did the same thing but I just figured it was just one of those things.

You know that movie "Bottle Shock"? I don't think that is going to happen.
Thanks for the thought.

Back