Anyone cold crash twice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have never. I was wondering if you could get the beer even clearer. After primary fermentation is done, cold crash. Then rack to the conditioning carboy, the cold crash again. Then bottle/keg.

Any time you lengthen cold conditioning, you'll get clearer beer. I don't use a secondary, but after conditioning for a while at 34 deg. F. in my kegs, my beer is usually clear.

-Steve

Hmmm Cold Crash? I wonder if you could double Isnglass or Gelatin and see any difference.

I do 10 days in primary then cold crash for 3. Then drain off about a pint of gunk, transfer to secondary for 10 days then cold crash for 3, then warm up to room temp and package. Last batch was the first time I did this and it worked out great! Crystal clear and no chill haze. I also used gelatin when transferring to secondary.

I do 10 days in primary then cold crash for 3. Then drain off about a pint of gunk, transfer to secondary for 10 days then cold crash for 3, then warm up to room temp and package. Last batch was the first time I did this and it worked out great! Crystal clear and no chill haze. I also used gelatin when transferring to secondary.

bottle or keg? if bottled, how long did it take to carb?

I have never. I was wondering if you could get the beer even clearer. After primary fermentation is done, cold crash. Then rack to the conditioning carboy, the cold crash again. Then bottle/keg.

So your asking if anyone after cold crashing once warms the beer up only for the sake of transferring and then cools it again. lol
I doubt it. If it's already cold, I'll leave it cold :cross:

You might be able to call lagering the second "cold cash" after a D-rest.

bottle or keg? if bottled, how long did it take to carb?

Bottled and waited for 3 weeks. The only other thing I changed was replacing the immersion cooled for a counter flow and I got a really good break for the first time. I'm sure this was a major factor in the clarity. (I also use Irish Moss).

So I have heard that the less yeast in suspension in the beer the more hop aroma you will get from your dry hops. I believe this was something that I read in BYO, from someone at Stone Brewery.
So I was considering trying a cold crash for a few days after the primary is done, then racking to the secondary and adding the dry hops, letting the beer warm back up to ferment temp, then cold crash again to drop the hop material.

Do you think this would have any benefit to the hop aroma from the dry hopping, or would I be wasting my time cold crashing twice?

Back