boil over problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jereme

Reaction score
wondering if after i add my first bittering hops to my brew and it boils over if this will effect the brew in any way by maybe losing some hop bittering qualities. just put them in my first batch and had a fairly large boil over and just wondering of this effect.

Maybe a slight bit, but nothing worth worrying about.

I highly recommend getting some Fermcap-S, or other foam control drops. Only a few drops prevents any sign of a boilover.

Just remember next time to briefly lower the temp when you add hops. The addition of hops to the boiling water is a pretty serious chemical reaction and I've noticed that if I just back off the heat temporarily I never have boil overs.

Solution #2...get a bigger pot :p (obviously not an option for the financially impaired)

Another trick some members swear by is having a spray bottle full of water and misting the foam when a boilover is imminent.

Or a fan blowing right on the pot. I don't do it but many others do. (I use the spray bottle).

One method I use is to remove the pot as soon as I add the hops and it boils up. I remove the pot right before the boil over and then when it goes down, I put it back on the burner. It begins to boil up again, I remove it and repeat. After 4 or 5 times of doing this, the boilover is controlled for the rest of the boil.

My first batch I had a boilover with some of the hops ending up on the ground. I added some more hops thinking it would compensate for the ones on the ground. That beer turned out EXTRA hoppy

Had the same problem last night and I even turned the heat way down. I think next time I will just pull the pot off the burner and hope that works better.

One method I use is to remove the pot as soon as I add the hops and it boils up. I remove the pot right before the boil over and then when it goes down, I put it back on the burner. It begins to boil up again, I remove it and repeat. After 4 or 5 times of doing this, the boilover is controlled for the rest of the boil.

Sounds kind of dangerous. I like to limit the amount of times I pick up 6 gallons of boiling wort.

Seriously, foam control drops are one of the best things you can buy. You can take a nap during the boil.

I also agree with using foam controller drops.

Even getting a bigger pot is not as foolproof as the drops. Someone just posted a picture the other day of a 5 gallon batch in a 15 gallon pot and it was probably an inch away from boilover. And if you have ever seen a 5 gallon batch in a 15 gallon pot, that's significant.

Foam controller drops can really be a lifesaver - for anyone and everyone.

I managed to narrowly avoid a boil over with my first batch by quickly lifting the pot off of the burner. Not the best idea, but had I waited another second or two, I would have had a big mess on my hand. Maybe I'll try the spray bottle next time.

Latest posts

Back