3 weeks in primary, add more yeast or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
As I do not have glass carboys (I use plastic buckets with lids) I am transferring beer after 7 days fermentation to glass 1 gallon demijohns with rubber bungs and airlocks. I leave these a further 2 weeks, then I bottle with a small amount of priming sugar. Should I be adding fresh yeast at this stage?

But the beer is still and crystal clear when I bottle?

yeast are single-celled organisms. Unless your eyes are microscopically inclined, the visual appearance of the beer has little bearing on whether yeast cells are in suspension. After 3 weeks, there's still plenty, believe me. After 4 months, then you'll wanna repitch at bottling. Otherwise, relax.

As I do not have glass carboys (I use plastic buckets with lids) I am transferring beer after 7 days fermentation to glass 1 gallon demijohns with rubber bungs and airlocks.

I agree with the previous posters that there's no need to add more yeast. But there's also no need to transfer from the bucket at one week. If the beer isn't done fermenting then you're doing damage to the finished product by not letting it finish out in the primary.

Why are you transferring at one week? Are you worried about oxygen because of the plastic bucket? If that's the case, there's no worry unless you're going to age the beer for more than a month or so. The plastic should be fine for 2-4 weeks at least. The secondary is completely unecessary for most beers.

Thanks, friends. In January I will brew a test brew and leave it, without even removing the krausen, for 3 weeks in bucket. The lid is pretty tight fitting so I should be ok. I have now bottled the 2 separate gallons from demijohns, but I guess I need to wait 4 weeks in bottle before I taste them.

Back