OR/WA Brew Day v2.0??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chances are we'll have the pub open by then.

McKBrew, would you be willing to take my portion down with you? I'd keg it for easy transport and may even be able to arrange getting it to Silverdale.

Or, perhaps you can pick it up at Naked City's grand opening! (whenever that might be)

Chances are we'll have the pub open by then.

McKBrew, would you be willing to take my portion down with you? I'd keg it for easy transport and may even be able to arrange getting it to Silverdale.

Or, perhaps you can pick it up at Naked City's grand opening! (whenever that might be)

I'll definately take it down for you. You can PM me and we can figure out how to get it over here. I'm thinking rubber raiding craft on the beach somewhere over in Bremerton, late at night. That would make the whole experience of this beer even more cool. :drunk:

Entered the recipe into BTP today, then realized Brewtopia's recipe was for 10G. Working on adjusting mine for 5G and my lower efficiency. Looking forward to brewing this and adding it to the barrel.

Just wanted to bump this up. Looks like we're at 40 gallons right now, so there's room if some others want to get in. Others should be thinking about getting their batches brewed in the next few weeks. I was going to try to do mine this weekend, but it may have to wait until next.

Brewed the base beer for this guy today. Started out great, then the skies decided to open up. Wasn't smart enough to think of brewing under the canopy or anything. But, 10 gallons in the bucket, if I did my numbers right I hit about 85% efficiency (highest I've hit to date!). Hopefully the OR rain that was added at the end won't have too much effect....

:mug:

Think of the rain as a little bit of 'house flavor'. I finally picked up my new cooler today, $40 at... *grumble* ..... Wal*mart and the parts for the MLT are going to be installed soon! Already got the grains, so now all I need is just to brew this up soon.

Oud Bruin for Pinot Barrel
17-C Flanders Brown Ale/Oud Bruin

18.jpg

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 175.3 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.053 (1.043 - 1.077)
|============#===================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.012 - 1.016)
Color: 18.2 (15.0 - 20.0)
|==================#=============|
Alcohol: 5.18% (4.0% - 8.0%)
Bitterness: 24.15 (15.0 - 25.0)
|======================#=========|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
8.5 lbs Belgian Pils
1 lbs Belgian Caravienne
.5 lbs Crystal Malt 40°L
.25 lbs Belgian Chocolate Malt
.5 oz Styrian Goldings (6.0%) - added first wort, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Tettnanger (4.5%) - added first wort, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Saaz (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
2 ea White Labs WLP550 Belgian Ale

Mash @ 150 for 60(or whatever you like). BTP file attached below.

View attachment oud briun for pinot barrel.btp

Well I brewed up this sumbitch yesterday, using Brewtopia's recipe. I intentionally overshot my runnings since I had an 8 gallon pail and 6.5 gallon carboy free, so I have about 13 gallons in primary at the moment. I've never done a 10 gallon batch before, and the boiler was almost to the rim. Scary.

Sounds great guys! I'm putting together the stand for the barrel.
As for the barrel party...I'm thinking maybe something early/mid afternoon on the Saturday. Blend all the batches, then maybe head out for a pub crawl?

Picked up the grains for this at lunch. Stoked! Mine is going to be all Tett because they did not have the other hops.

Pub crawl would be just fine with me. Although I may have to be quite ill for work that night ;) ;)

I've been so busy but I'm going to try and grab the ingredients and brew this tomorrow. Wish me luck.

I've been so busy but I'm going to try and grab the ingredients and brew this tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Did you get a chance to brew? Good Luck. I started at 4PM yesterday, finished around 8, and still need to clean my mash tun and brew kettle. :(

Busy day today, got an ancient refrigerator off CL for free (needs some paint), but it will be a fermentation chamber before long.

I didn't get a chance to brew today. Spent the day bottling and kegging my barrel beer. I want to contribute to this project so hopefully I can brew this week.

Don, being the thread barrel aging expert, any issues seen with the extra dead space we're going to have (40 gallons in a 55 gallon barrel)?

Don, being the thread barrel aging expert, any issues seen with the extra dead space we're going to have (40 gallons in a 55 gallon barrel)?

I was thinking about that and came up with what might be a solution. You know when you kill a corny and there's basically just foam and CO2 coming out of the tap? After we get all of the beer in the barrel, we could hook a tank up to an empty, dry corny and put a party tap on it. Then stick the party tap in the barrel and shoot a bunch of CO2 in there. Then (I think) there would be a nice layer of CO2 on top of our beer, just like it would have in primary after fermentation.

On another note, have all the ingredients but didn't get to brew this weekend.:(

I'm OK with the cherries, from what I've read on the style, it's a common thing to do.

I have risen from the ashes of lameness and brewed my barrel beer!
This stuff is dark!

Evidence:
ob1.jpg

The Ghetto Child Brew Setup
ob3.jpg

What type of sour cherries are we looking for and how much? I found some online that are sour cherries with sugar and water added in a 24oz jar. This company in Dundee, OR has tart cherries in water.

Safeway around here has those exact cherries in stock. I like that it's stored in water instead of corn syrup like some other brands. For my cherry stout I added 5 lbs of dark cherries in the baggies from the frozen food section and they worked alright.

Myself, I'm fine with us each adding our own brand/style of cherries to the mix. Most kriek recipes call for 6 lbs of cherries per 5 gallon batch, so portion accordingly.

This beer is about fermented out and smells great. Thinking about just throwing it in the keg and doing tap hits.

j/k - although I am gone on Oct 24th, so I may have to roll over to your pad and leave the fermenter there until barreling day. I'll PM ya.

Very sorry to say I am not going to be able to get my part of this brewed. Between work and family commitments that have recently come up I just don't see a chance to get this brewed.

I just saw this thread for the first time. I'm very excited about barrel-aged beers and actually have a Jack Daniels barrel I'm going to be filling with an imperial stout in the next month or two.

If it's not too late to contribute to this project, I'd definitely be willing to brew up 10 gallons. Or if you guys just want to move forward with what you have, no worries.

Brandon-
If you can get it brewed and by in Portland on the 25th you're more than welcome. Just let us know.

Gary-
No problem my friend. These things happen.

Brandon-
If you can get it brewed and by in Portland on the 25th you're more than welcome. Just let us know.

I think I'm coming down to Portland this weekend. I could feasibly brew it before then and drop it off in primary but maybe I'll try to push my plans back a weekend so it's not so rushed. I'll let you guys know. Regardless, I'll try to get it brewed up in the next few days.

That would be awesome, explosive! I think with your contribution we'll fill the barrel, or well nigh close to it.

That would be awesome, explosive! I think with your contribution we'll fill the barrel, or well nigh close to it.

I'm glad to help out and this sounds like a very interesting collaboration. I'll plan on using Don's recipe in post 45 of this thread unless I hear otherwise.

If my LHBS doesn't have the Wyeast 3763 Roselare yeast, do you guys have a preference what I use? Another lambic blend? Or just a standard WLP001 or 1056?

Roselare was a limited release and I'm pretty sure not available. I think what most are doing is just using a basic yeast for the base beer....I used Safale US-05 myself. Not sure if you've read through the whole thread or not but the bugs are being donated by Wyeast (well, they've asked for 3 gallons of final product).

I think what would be great is if everyone can bring with them some sour cherries. This one the cost is split amongst the group. Thoughts?

Back