Murky ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pintocb

Reaction score
Any reason I have to let my cider clear? I don't mind drinking it cloudy.

if its cloudy, you have not given it enough time to age. Patience. Unless you over heated the apple juice before pitching your yeast. In that case, you have pectin haze, and it will take far to long to clear, if ever. I bulk age for at least a few months before bottling and waiting for several more months.

I suppose it will just taste a little more yeasty? Some people like that? stick it in the fridge for a few. watch those yeasty beasties drop like rocks.

Agreed. Unless it's pectin haze (which probably won't clear) then just let it clear before bottling. Haziness is related to going stale early.

I did heat it. I used some apple juice, a can of concentrate, but also a can of Mr. Beer Cider mix that I had, so I'm guessing the haze is pectin. I'll give it 'til Sunday then I'm bottling either way. I don't mind murky.

oh lawd...mr beer. just use apple juice. if you have a whole foods around you, they have 1 gallon jugs of organic unfiltered apple juice thats perfect for cider. not only that, but you can use the 1gals to carboy individual 'experiments' or to age in different intervals. i love those jugs because they are very thick, come with the apple juice, and i can sell them to people on ebay if i damn well want to!

Oh Lawd, I did use a Mr. Beer kit.....sorry, judgemental jerry. :) Wish I had a Whole Foods nearby. Don't know if there is even one within an hour of me. I'm lucky to have a food lion in my town. I have a Harry's about 45 mins away in north Atlanta. I'm sure they have some decent stuff.

Back