6.5 gallon carboy 5 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

html034

Reaction score
hey I just racked my first batch into a secondary fermenter, a 6.5 gallon carboy. THe volume of the batch ended up being about 4.75 gallons, and now i read that you want to minimize headspace. So, am i going to have a problem?

Welcome to HBT.

I'm obligated to tell you to search around for the debates between secondary vs no-secondary.

The beer will continue to release CO2 out of solution which, being heavier than air, will form a protective blanket of "fixed air" over it. As cn said, you'll be fine if you don't splash it too much.

You"ll be fine, just don't slosh it around. Buy a 5 gallon carboy for next time.
Or, better yet, brew a six gallon batch next time.

Edit: actually, though, c.n. budz is right; more traditional is a larger primary and smaller secondary. I have 6g primaries and 5g secondaries and brew 5.5 gallon batches. Tends to nicely fill up the six gallon to minimal head space and does the same when I rack to the secondary, leaving some of the beer behind with the trub.

Rick

thanks for the help. guess i should have read a bit more before buying that carboy. I guess i have 3 primaries now and no secondary.

Back