Is my mash tun the right size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FalkyBrew

Reaction score
I've been thinking about moving to 10 gallon batches. I have a 50qt Coleman cooler converted mash tun. Is this big enough or should I get something bigger? Thanks

I just did a 10 gal batch with 20#s of grain and I was fine using a 10g igloo (round) so I'd say you would be fine.

Doing the 1.3q per # of grain calculation, as long as you don't go over 38#s of grain you'd be good!

For bigger batches I just cut my sparge vol in half and double sparge.

I just did a 10 gal batch with 20#s of grain and I was fine using a 10g igloo (round) so I'd say you would be fine.

Doing the 1.3q per # of grain calculation, as long as you don't go over 38#s of grain you'd be good!

For bigger batches I just cut my sparge vol in half and double sparge.

same here, you really dont need one that big

Awesome! Looks like all I need is a bigger kettle and a better way to cool my wort.

Easiest way to cool 10 gallons or more is with a copper wort chiller. Go up to ebay and type in "wort chiller" and you've get a ton of results. Same with "copper wort chiller" and "plate chiller".

I got one where it's just a copper tube in a circle that you hook up to your kitchen faucet. All ya have to do is stick it in the wort, turn on the water and stir.

I use a wort chiller now but it's not big enough for 10 gallons. It's only a 25' coil.

When you turn on the cold water...you can either stir the wort around the chiller or actually swooosh the chiller around the wort. THAT get the temp down big time!

50qt will be more than enough for a 10 gallon batch. Im currently looking at a 48qt just for the flexibility to go between 10g and 5g batches. That is a fantastic link btw.

Back