Steam Juicer for pears

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnoodle

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a monster stainless steel stove top steam juicer, I was wondering if anybody has on or has ever used one for any fruit at all. He juiced some fresh blueberries for me, it was one pound of berries and it yielded a pint of juice, I don't know if this is good or bad because I have never used a juicer of any kind. My pears from my tree are almost ripe so I need to get something going for my pear wine I'm making this year. I don't have a press or know anybody that does so that isn't an option for me, and I'm only making a one gallon batch so I don't think I will need many pears. Any help or comments would be great, thanks.

Yes, my friend has one and he asked me to make chokecherry wine out of his resulting chokecherry juice. He loves it.

I'm not a fan. I think the juice has a bit of a "cooked fruit" taste. Think apple pie apples, instead of a fresh apple. Cooked fruit tastes totally different than the raw version.

I'm not using it for any of my wines at all, and he asked me to show him how to make his own wine so I haven't sampled any more of his juices.

I'd prefer just freezing the pears (wash first) and then putting them in a mesh bag and fermenting on them that way. After 5 days, remove them and squeeze, squeeze, squeeze the bag to "press" them.

I don't have a press, and I did 83 pounds of crabapples like that last fall! I also do chokecherries, apples, blackberries, etc- whatever you can think of- that way.

Thanks yooper I guess I'm going to need to get a bucket to ferment in, so far I have just been using some 1 gallon Carlo Rossi style jugs, and some 5 gallon plastic water cooler jugs.

Thanks yooper I guess I'm going to need to get a bucket to ferment in, so far I have just been using some 1 gallon Carlo Rossi style jugs, and some 5 gallon plastic water cooler jugs.

I got a bunch of free buckets at the grocery store bakery. They held frosting, strawberries, and peanut butter, and they even gave me the lids! I just drilled a little hole for an airlock. I don't always use a lid/airlock for my wine primaries, but when fruitflies start showing up I do! I think they were all three gallon size food safe buckets. It's worth a try for everyone!

Awesome I'll stop by the bakery at the grocery store and see what I can pickup.

Back