Columbus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
Does anyone like this hop? I have tried it twice, once dry hopped and once FWH and both times I got a sort of goat, butt juice, BO thing that in moderation might be "character" but for a reasonably large proportion of hop flavor is off putting.

stevedasleeve said:
Does anyone like this hop? I have tried it twice, once dry hopped and once FWH and both times I got a sort of goat, butt juice, BO thing that in moderation might be "character" but for a reasonably large proportion of hop flavor is off putting.

Love it. But I don't like butt goat juice. So maybe you got something else going on there. It smells like really good marijuana to me. I use it in my American stout and really love the combo of the dank piney aroma with the coffee like roast of the stout.

Some commercial beers taste like BO to me, especially Widmer Brothers pale ales and ipas. I wonder if they use columbus!

It's my main hop right now. Mainly for IPAs. My all-Columbus IPA is pretty good. Though I am searching for its perfect partner.

Yeah I don't get the goat butt thing at all from Columbus. To me it's a bit spicy, a bit resiny, a bit citrusy and altogether awesome. Try Anderson Valley's IPA for a commercial example of proper Columbus flavor and aroma.

Some commercial beers taste like BO to me, especially Widmer Brothers pale ales and ipas. I wonder if they use columbus!

I think they use Summit hops quite a bit...I think that is where it is from!

Columbus is awesome, realy resinous and "stanky", I thnk it pairs well with chinook and centennial.

Dank and sort of roasty, not butt-juice perhaps - just a little ale influenced hyperbole! Still not my favorite hop that is for sure. I suppose it could be a bad batch of hops - I got 4 oz in 4 packages to try out. I'll stick to my simcoe, amarillo, chinook, cascade ipas and skip columbus from now on.

I am surprised, this is the first hop variety I have had a negative reaction to. I thought I was immune! I just tried summit for the first time in a similar schedule - FWH and 0 minute aroma addition. I hope that one does not taste like columbus.

Oh I did not order it from the local hop farmers here in Betelgeuse. It came from a small home brew shop in MD, ultimately from Oregon I think.

You know hop descriptions I have read are just plain wrong. I have never gotten grapefruit from cascade or pine from simcoe. I have no clue why noble hops are noble, I find them anemic for the most part and fuggle/willamette /goldings are kind of boring and non-descript. It may be that the shipping to Betelgeuse robs these hops of their essential properties but I rather suspect the descriptions are generalized and copied to the point of being somewhat meaningless...

& that is all I have to say about that...

Steve da sleeve

I agree with you somewhat in that hop descriptions are the same for the most part. You have to brew with them to actually see what they taste like. I don't know what you're talking about not getting grapefruit from cascade though.

More on topic, I love columbus hops. I have a hopburst columbus and cascade APA (maybe amber?) in the fermenter right now.

Back