I want to make wine from Mountain Dew Throwback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
get enough of it and throw some champagne yeast in it! Or wine yeast. Or ale yeast. Or lager yeast.

I don't quite know that you could make "wine" from it, but you definitely could make something boozy from it!

As cool as it would be, it seems that it contains Sodium Benzoate, which is a preservative that inhibits the growth of bacteria and fungus under acidic conditions.

You could always try a small 1-gallon batch and see what happens... though my money's on "nothing or something gross"

Yeh... I've been thinking of some crazy ideas myself... But soda it designed to be stored safely for long periods of time... So you would REALLY have to work to get the yeast working... Though i would be interested to know how yeasts lije high fructose corn syrup... Hmmm... Brb...

ok... after fighting with bubbles... and running it several times... I've determined that Dr Pepper has an SG of about 1.050... which is surprisingly perfect for a decent fermentation. I'm thinking... as soon as I get a free carboy (about a week)... I'm throwing a batch of Dr Pepper in and seeing if I can get it to ferment. Oh man... if we can get this to work... the possibilities are mind-blowing! Let's keep this going... let me know how yours' turns out... and I'll do the same. I have some Red Star sitting around... so I'll throw that in and see if I can rock it.

Which leads to so many other questions... if you ferment an already carbonated beverage... does it remain carbonated? hmm... yeh... it's definitely time to get a little crazy!

For a test I would probably get a 2-litre bottle, drink a small portion to have a touch of headspace, then pitch some started champagne yeast and affix an airlock.

Good luck...

Yeh... I've been thinking of some crazy ideas myself... But soda it designed to be stored safely for long periods of time... So you would REALLY have to work to get the yeast working... Though i would be interested to know how yeasts lije high fructose corn syrup... Hmmm... Brb...

Mountain Dew Throwback has real sugar in it BTW

I'm going to make up a small batch and will report back how it went. Stay tuned!

I would pour some warm water in it and really whisk it all up to get rid of excess CO2 to help the yeast.

Or just open it and put it in a tub of warm water. no need to water it down.

Mountain Dew Throwback has real sugar in it BTW

Yeah, and fermenting real sugar ends up taking like crap. Assuming the SUPER acidity and preservatives allow it to ferment in the first place.

Mt Dew is the most acidic soda on the market.

I'm all for experiments, but I can tell you this is gonna taste horrible if it ferments.

Put a little Blue Maui schnapps in Mt Dew for a good time.

Yeah, and fermenting real sugar ends up taking like crap. Assuming the SUPER acidity and preservatives allow it to ferment in the first place.

Mt Dew is the most acidic soda on the market.

I'm all for experiments, but I can tell you this is gonna taste horrible if it ferments.

Put a little Blue Maui schnapps in Mt Dew for a good time.

Actually the most acidic are RC cola, coke, cherry coke, and Dr. Pepper. with a PH of 2.39. Mt. Dew is a PH of 3.1 which is right around a white wine.

I think it will mess up the Mt Dew flavor by breaking down alot of things. I've had Dew left in the sun before. It wasn't tasty... you're probably best to let it set uncapped for a day to let the CO2 bubble off. Shake the **** out of it and let it set another day uncapped, maybe in the fridge if there's not alot of CO2 left.

eww...always remember "garbage in garbage out"

That being said, i am interested and i will be checking back.

I have seen mold grow in Mt. Dew. But it took a while. I wonder if you degas it and let it sit for 24 hours without the top if it would have less preservatives.

This stuff sounds gross, but I am interested in how it turns out.

Mt. Dew with Vodka is great though. You can mix them 50/50 and barely tell the difference. Makes for great public events.

in my college days i did was able to ferment mt dew. the taste was like a watered down mt dew.

ok i didnt know anything back then but this is what i did

let the dew go flat
sprinkle in bread yeast
screwed cap on super loose
left in closet 14-20 days
drank

i also did this with gatorade. same results.

just wanted to say that it is possible....

again since then ive learned a ton and made some good and proper drinks.. but i might try this again just to see what its like.

in my college days i did was able to ferment mt dew. the taste was like a watered down mt dew.

ok i didnt know anything back then but this is what i did

let the dew go flat
sprinkle in bread yeast
screwed cap on super loose
left in closet 14-20 days
drank

i also did this with gatorade. same results.

just wanted to say that it is possible....

again since then ive learned a ton and made some good and proper drinks.. but i might try this again just to see what its like.

How about passing on what cha learned? :fro:

not sure if you mean what ive learned in general or what i learned about mt dew.

ill start with the dew. It got us buzzed and didnt taste like much really.

since then ive learned that it is worth the time to get good ingredients and put in the time necessary to make something good.

i mean when i started the dew/gatorade brews i didnt know about air stops, different yeasts, primary/secondary, sanitization, tons of stuff.

I do like the idea of having LOTS of small batches of stuff going...and lots of big batches as well.

tonight I am bottling 28 bottles of a sweet kiwi white wine :)

I have made this, and it wasn't bad. (I used reg. Mt. Dew)

Brew a small beer, extract would be easiest, with regular hops and all, but with less water. Instead of topping off with water, top off with the Dew. Voila, caffeinated citrus'd beer.

I've got 4 liters of Dew that have been sitting out with the caps off for a few days at about 68 degrees. I'll transfer them to a Rossi 4 liter jug tomorrow and pitch the yeast. I'll add some yeast enzyme too I think to help things.

I'm using Montrachet yeast just because I have an extra pack after making up some apfelwein.

When I do I'll update with pics and my SG.

Alright guys, after 3 long days of shaking the fizz out I pitched the yeast tonight. It STILL had carbonation after sitting out for 3 days. Not much head space but oh well! OG is 1.05, this is the OG of regular ol' Mt. Dew if you want to tuck that little gem of knowledge away for future use.

Also, the bung up top has a hole in it. for when I airlock it. Right now it's just the "blow hole"

Also pictured it the very appropriate vessel I'll be drinking my Pinot Dew from.

IMG_20110314_032440.jpg

I've gotten a couple of pretty good chuckles out of this thread.
Keep us posted, glad to see someone is having fun!

God Speed dude, God Speed.

Should I get the yeast going first THEN dump it in? I'm kinda pissed it didn't work.

Keep the tips coming. I'm going to start a new batch.

Yes, get the starter going a couple days before pitching, mix it well and put it into your brew when it is at high krausen, that will get you the best results.

Alright, I'll do that. Can anyone give me a quick lesson in making a yeast starter and explain what high krausen is?

You need to make a sugar solution and sterilize it (usually by boiling), let it cool, then pitch yeast into it and let it go. High krausen is the point when beer fermentation is in high gear and there is a large "head" on the surface of what is being fermented, that "head" is called krausen. For your starter you'll need to let it sit until you see good signs of fermentation.
For beer we usually use malt extract for the sugar in the yeast starter, you could use plain white sugar or some light honey so as not to mess too much with the flavors of the Dew. For my smaller starters I usually pour my boiled and cooled solution into a 1 qt glass milk jar with a stopper and airlock and then pitch the yeast (don't forget to aerate, and use a sanitized funnel), easy to store for a couple days while the yeast gets itself going.
If started champagne yeast doesn't get this thing going I doubt anything will, besides maybe a really hardy strain of brettanomyces...

yeh... a starter is just a solution of sugars well mixed on a small scale to give the yeast something to eat BEFORE you add it to your carboy... so that when you do add it... it's already fermenting at a very high... healthy level.

So for this... I'd put a cup of water in a small sauce pan...

add about 2 TBSP of sugar(or honey)... mix it really well...

I like to add some of what will be fermented as well... just to get the yeast into the right mode... so you can add just a little bit of Dew to the mixture as well if you'd like.

then add some nutrient (and energizer if you have it)... and mix that really well.

Then bring it to a low boil.

Once it hits that low boil... turn the heat down a bit and let it boil slowly for about 10 minutes... just to get the sugar/honey melted and well blended into the water.

Let that cool COVERED until it hits about room temp... or you can use an ice bath or put it in the fridge to cool it quicker... but you have to keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesn't get too cold for the yeast.

once it's reached room temp... sprinkle the yeast in (the entire amount of yeast you plan to use)... and give it a good mix... then throw it into a small bottle (make sure it's clean and sterilized!)... cap it... shake it up a bit... throw it in a dark corner and let it work. Keep an eye on it. Should be kicking ass in about a day. Once it's started fermenting heavily, put it into your carboy... and let it work it's magic.

Some suggest using an airlock with this... but I've never had an issue just capping it. Just make sure once it gets heavily fermenting... you pitch it. Don't forget about it or you'll have a very powerful bottle bomb on your hands... lol!

oh... and krausen is just foam.
It's produced by the attenuation of the sugars by the yeast... and is just a really good indicator as to how well your yeast are doing on the sugars provided.

You'll see when you get this going... it should be nice a foamed up when it's ready to be pitched.

Actually, I would use a starter but then acclimbatise the yeast to the acidity of the mountain dew by adding half a cup of dew to the starter (once it has really taken off) per hour for a few hours, then dump it into the demijohn.

holy sh** guys! You'll never believe this!
I've had to put things on hold for a week or so (mid terms) and haven't had time to make a starter or anything.
I just walked into the kitchen to get a glass of water and hear fizzing coming from the jug of Pinot Dew!!
The yeast finally took off nine or so days after I pitched it!!
But now I have no idea when it went or when I should airlock it!

Someone let me know when they think I should airlock it.

Edit: it smells great!

Back