Shipping and Temperature Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DurkaDan

Reaction score
I have beer that just finished conditioning that I put in the fridge a couple days ago. I want to send some to some family up north.

The question: Does beer lose anything in going from fridge temps to room temperature? Is it noticeable? How much is too much in a shift of temperature? Should beer only be placed in cold temps when it is ready to be consumed since placing it in warmer temps afterwards is too much for it?

Basically, I want to know how temperature affects beer after it is brewed, conditioned, and carbonated.

Also, how warm can I expect my beer to get while in transit with USPS, FedEx, or UPS?

Should I avoid any of those carriers and why?

Beer will stale faster when it's kept at room temperature. You'll lose hop bitterness and aroma faster, and you'll also lose some of the malt character.

Shipping beer via FedEx and UPS is, without negotiation, a violation of your contract with the carrier. Depending on where you're shipping it, it can also be a state crime.

Shipping alcohol via USPS under pretty much any circumstances is a violation of federal law.

I acknowledge the risk. Unless there is another way to send the beer, I don't have much of a choice.

Does anybody who has shipped beer have any preferences on the carrier?

I just shipped a six pack to my brother-in-law so I thought I would report my experience.

I shipped via UPS through one of their "UPS Store" franchises. I chose to ship 5 day ground.

Shipping cost was $14.

No questions were asked in regards to the contents of package.

Beer was reported to have arrived at or slightly below room temp.

If you're concerned about the shipment getting warm, you could place a couple of frozen gel packs in the middle of your shipment. Or perhaps use a white styrofoam cooler instead of a cardboard box.

Your other option is to ship overnight.

I avoid USPS for previous stated legal reasons.

Back