Friend's Starting A Garden....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sethwick

Reaction score
....what should I have her grow for me that would be great to toss into some beer? besides hops....

Coriander? It's easy.

+1 I like Wits and I am thinking about growing some coriander this year. And it will also yield some cilantro for salsa or whatnot.

I also have spearmint growing around a portion of my house and I am planning on adding some to a chocolate stout and see how that tastes. Migh tbe my best new beer! (or a completely awful waste of time and beer...)

Coriander's not a bad call.... Pepper might be a little extreme..
Love the suggestions -keep 'em coming!

some people like chamomile in a wit as well. Spices are the things that come to mind most.

Oh, sweet potatoes. You could make a winter beer with them.

Bitter herbs include horehound, sage, dandelion, alecost, milk thistle, nettle, yarrow, gentian, clary sage, and betony.

Herbs that can be used for flavoring include juniper, spruce, rosemary, hyssop, borage, ginger, oregano, mints, bee balm, lemon balm, sweet woodruff, marjoram, elecampane, licorice, and thyme.

Rosemary, hyssop, lavender, chamomile, lemon balm, bee balm, elder flowers, and many other herbs can be used to provide aroma to beer.

http://www.gruitale.com/botanicals_en.htm

Bitter herbs include horehound, sage, dandelion, alecost, milk thistle, nettle, yarrow, gentian, clary sage, and betony.

Herbs that can be used for flavoring include juniper, spruce, rosemary, hyssop, borage, ginger, oregano, mints, bee balm, lemon balm, sweet woodruff, marjoram, elecampane, licorice, and thyme.

Rosemary, hyssop, lavender, chamomile, lemon balm, bee balm, elder flowers, and many other herbs can be used to provide aroma to beer.

http://www.gruitale.com/botanicals_en.htm

This is the kind of stuff I was going to suggest. Mugwort and yarrow are easy to grow and traditional for gruit ales. Elderberry plants are good because both the flowers and berries can be used. Rosemary and sage are not only great for culinary uses (use them in large amounts on a roasted chicken, trust me!) but also give ales a very interesting flavor, not at all like they taste fresh but much more minty.

Back