Sour Belgian Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian-style stout along the lines of Allagash Black, but I decided to add a little sourness. I pulled one gallon of wort and innoculated with brett (WLP645). My question is on how to proceed.

I am going to blend the soured beer into the main batch (fermented with the Wyeast 3655-PC Belgian Schelde Ale Yeast), but I'm wondering the best way to stop the brett from taking over the whole batch - do I pasteurize the soured gallon? Campden tablets? Filter? I'm going to force carbonate in a keg, so the yeast doesn't need to be active.

Anyone done anything similar? Any tips?

I brewed a Belgian-style stout along the lines of Allagash Black, but I decided to add a little sourness. I pulled one gallon of wort and innoculated with brett (WLP645). My question is on how to proceed.

Anyone done anything similar? Any tips?

WLP645 is Brettanomyces claussennii. you will not get a lot of sour from this, It is a strain isolated from English stock beer from the early 20th century. Of Breet strains it has a vary mellow brett characteristics.I have used this strain a couple times. I like it, but it does not impart souring well. I found that it imparts more to aroma than any thing else. Pineapple and Passion fruit is what I get from it.

If you want to sour it up add WLP655 the Belgian sour blend with Lacto, and Pedio. This will give you a good clean souring after about 6-12months. Keep the O2 to a minimum to avoid the generation of Acidic acid, and the temp in the 60-70ºF range to give you a good sour complexity.

I have a gallon of dry stout that I inoculated with the dregs of a cuvee. Its been in there for 3months and I have not checked it.

Back