where to buy brewing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papsh

Reaction score
besides online, can brewing yeast be bought at the local shop rite?

All pre-hopped kits come with yeast, but these are generally poor quality (in Australia anyway).

Home brew shops sell better quality yeasts separately.

I've also heard the health shops sell brewers yeast but these are denatured and cannot be used for brewing.

I don't think you'll find brewers yeast in any supermarket...and the health food store stuff is sold as a supplement; a vitamin...it's gotta be a brew shop. I could be wrong, but I rarely am. :)

In general I use liquid yeast - but I keep some Safeale around in case I decide to brew up something off the cuff.

Safeale is a dry yeast with good quality results - I think the same company makes a lager yeast if you are interested.

The stuff that comes in kits is usually good for providing some variety in your wastebasket - you never know how old it is or what conditions it has been kept in and is not generally of high quality to begin with.

I have never seen brewers yeast in suppermarkets before. I've been using the Wyeast for a long time now and no problems, starts to ferment in 2-3 hours after pitching.

Just alow time for the yeast to cultivate before pitching.

The brewer's yeast in supermarkets is a cooking ingredient. I wouldn't try making beer with it.

Good yeast is fairly inexpensive, and it has such a monumental impact on your beer, that I you don't want to shortchange yourself.

Back