I brewed 7 bbls yesterday.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Let the hating begin.

3669770259_febb909af1.jpg

As you may know, I was given the opportunity to brew Papago Brewing's Pro-Am beer this year for the GABF. Early Saturday morning I met up with Jim Strelau of Oak Creek Brewing at their production facility in Sedona.

The first order of business was scaling my recipie from 5 gallons up to 217.

3670379104_0ef9974b1d.jpg

You suck bastich! Now get humpin and move those sacks of malt. :D

Oh yeah, nice socks with the sandals. Didn't your Mama tell you to brew with closed toed shoes?

500 lb grain bill so there were plenty of round trips with the grain. I could not wipe this smile off my face all day.

3670396216_19fda6c5d5.jpg

50# of rice hulls. No stuck sparges for us. My recipe broke the old wheat bill % record for this system.

3670409156_df55b03694.jpg

Vouraluf. Note the sight glass.

3669886341_92155b3ca2.jpg

Jim introduced to me to what he called an Scottish brewing tradition fro first time brewers. Take the wort from the kettle and mix it up with a shot of Scotch. It made for an awesome breakfast and it is a tradition that I plan to continue.

I may have to pluck people off the street and deputize them as new brewers!

3670693450_ec599f901a.jpg

Tending to the boil. Boil overs are a possibility on this system but fortunately none occurred on my watch.

3670699048_0c37083e50.jpg

Grain out. Still smiling

3670697438_764a41e86d.jpg

Big ups to Oak Creek Brewing and head brewer Jim Strelau. They made the experience educational and fun. I know we made a damn fine beer!

3669881717_5a4129773c.jpg

Awesome! Congrats.

What is the brew of choice that you two are drinking in the pic? Looks like a Bell's Oberon bottle...

That is definitely a kid in a candy store smile.

So is stripping down from jeans into shorts during the brew also a "new brewer" tradition, or is that just what they told you. :D

BTW, you suck.

Jim introduced to me to what he called an Scottish brewing tradition fro first time brewers. Take the wort from the kettle and mix it up with a shot of Scotch. It made for an awesome breakfast and it is a tradition that I plan to continue.
This traditional beverage is known as a hot scotchy.:rockin:

Very cool man. I'm hoping to get to assist in a brew day at the Rocky Mountain Brewery in TN next month when we take a tour. That scotch tradition is pretty cool. My bro has been hounding me to make him a Scottish Ale so maybe I'll get a bottle of Scotch and incorporate that into our brew day for it.

I don't hate you, but you do indeed suck. :D

Looks like a great time and an incredible experience.

I am confused about the outfit change though. ;)

I'm going to have to refer all wardrobe questions to either my valet or haberdasher depending on the nature of the question.

I'm going to post some video tomorrow or the next day.

Very nice! I've had invitations to brew at a location that will remain nameless. Something about the grain mill being on the third floor and no elevator ...

Jealousy is an emotion and typically refers to the negative thoughts and feelings of insecurity, fear, and anxiety over an anticipated loss of something that the person values (brewing), such as a relationship (beer), friendship (brewing), or love (beer).

Congrats olllllo! I've helped out on a bunch of different brews, but its way more rewarding when its actually your recipe.

Good luck in the pro-am. I hope you get 2nd place :)

Back