Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i drew a growler out and it was cloudy at about week 3 and the next day it was clear as glass... im hoping it will just clear out more in the bottles if its still cloudy, dont know yet, sanitizing bottles now. Open it shortly

Yeah I don't want to drink to much of the stuff before the end of may so I might just let it chill in the carboy for one more week and then bottle.

I just bottled my delicious batch of Apfelwein-inspired dry-hopped Cyser and started a new batch of more traditional Apfelwein (no honey or brown sugar), but using the same ale-yeast blend I have been using for some time with great results. I also used BrewVint Alcohol Boost instead of corn sugar, just to play around with how different types of sugars affect the final product.

Can I substitute Montrachet Wine Yeast for Lalvin EC-1118....Will it make a difference or are these same??? Thanks in advance.......

My Apfelwine is being stubborn to clear the first 1/4 of the carboy is crystal clear then it gets cloudy, you can see where it moves from cloudy to clear, a very defined point. Hopefully it is 1/2 way by tomorrow :p

Just finished my first batch of apfelwein anI was wondering at what temperature do you prefer to serve it at? To you serve at room temperature or chill?

Hi all a couple of questions here. I started a batch of Apfelwine on 2/08/09. Fermentation was visable 2 days later. My fermentation lock has been going ever since. Not real active but a bubble every 1/2 min or so. I followed the recipe exactly. My room temp was 64 to 66 for first month and a half. I know that this is low and the cause of slow fermentation. Gravities have been taken periodicaly and are as follows og 1.050, 3/7 1.012, and 4/7 1.002. Temp now reads 66 on carboy. My question is can I bottle at this gravity and add 3/4 cups of sugar to carb this in 12 oz. bottles or should I wait for gravity to drop to .999? It has changed color and cleared a little but has not gotten clear enough to read a newspaper through. Also do I have to worry about infections letting it go this long or will the amount of alcohol keep this from happening at this point? I have practiced good sanitation. Thanks for any sugestions.

Hi all a couple of questions here. I started a batch of Apfelwine on 2/08/09. Fermentation was visable 2 days later. My fermentation lock has been going ever since. Not real active but a bubble every 1/2 min or so. I followed the recipe exactly. My room temp was 64 to 66 for first month and a half. I know that this is low and the cause of slow fermentation. Gravities have been taken periodicaly and are as follows og 1.050, 3/7 1.012, and 4/7 1.002. Temp now reads 66 on carboy. My question is can I bottle at this gravity and add 3/4 cups of sugar to carb this in 12 oz. bottles or should I wait for gravity to drop to .999? It has changed color and cleared a little but has not gotten clear enough to read a newspaper through. Also do I have to worry about infections letting it go this long or will the amount of alcohol keep this from happening at this point? I have practiced good sanitation. Thanks for any sugestions.

I'm certainly not one of the apfelwein gurus, but I'd say taste it and if it matches a sweetness level that you like, bottle it. If you want it drier, wait a bit longer. Age isn't going to hurt it; you could probably leave it in the carboy for 6 months and have the best stuff ever (bulk aging is generally considered better than bottle-aging, I think). Really up to you.

Give it a shake and move it to a area that's 70-75 degrees and give it a bit more time. If it decides to drop lower after giving it a shot of sugar for bottling, you'll get bombs.

For bottle conditioning this stuff, would it be better to bottle before it completely clarifies, but the FG stays steady, so the yeast is still suspended, and just let it clarify in the bottle?

I dont want to have any bottle conditioning problems with too little yeast being in solution.

Eleven days in the fermenter. It dropped from 1.065 to 1.005. It's been going at about 70-72F for most of that time.

The hydro sample smelled "cidery." I was worried it had gone to vinegar on me. But I gave it a taste and it definitely tastes like wine. It was too dry for my tastes, but my wife really liked it. :rockin: I tried adding a drop of stevia into the sample and liked it better that way, but wifey didn't care for it that way.

I'm going to let it finish out and clarify before bottling. I plan on doing about 1/4 still and the rest carbonated. I've been collecting Martinellies bottles and should have enough for that.

what if one wanted to up the alcohol %? im going to assume you would add more dex when starting out, but i would also assume that its not that easy... i guess what im assuming is that i dont know.

when adding more dex would you have to make it more like a real wine and add all the other things too (acid, enzyme, campden, etc.)? at that point would it not be considered what it started out to be?

I don't know if this has been asked before ( I am NOT scanning through 486 pages) but my apfelwein has been in the fermenter for 6 weeks and is still sitting at 1.015. I have warmed the room up to 70-72 degrees for a week, even stirred it with the wine thief. Anyone else have this issue? Also, this thing has tons of bubbles in it, It seems carbonated already. I stick the thief into carboy and the top 2 inches is foamy head.
Normal?
Thanks

Just started my first batch and used 5 gallons fresh pressed apples, 2.5# corn sugar and Lavin d-47 yeast! Cant wait.

Edit: Sg=1.075

You can add more sugar but i hear it gives killer hangovers and headaches and isnt worth it. The original 8.5% is good enough for most. Supposedly only need 2-3 of em. and to the other dude... how do you have 2 inches of foam on top? The stuff doesnt krausen, and if it has all them bubbles and is at 1.015 its not done... give it a while longer.

im gonna make this, this weekend

just finished that grueling 10 minute process!!!!
got five 3 quart bottles of Langdons from the Hanaford.. and tossed it into the PET bottle i got for this..uh why was i using glass before? PET are light and i dont have to be too careful. plus they are way cheaper! :rockin:im making the switch i think , anyone wanna buy some glass carboys?

Is it possible to add any other juices whilst it is fermenting?
I only have one carboy so I can't make a secondary to do this =[.

I have always wanted to make something like this. I will be brewing some of this up this week but first I am going to read all of the posts. I am up to post 1190.:D

Storm

I started another batch last week. I was also wondering about adding other juice after fermentation starts, I was thinking that I'd like to rack some into a gallon jug and add some Pom or Cran juice to the already fermenting apple juice.

I wanna experiment with some apfelwein by adding some spices in. Should I put them in during fermentation or during bottling? And since apfelwein is pretty strong, should I go a little above what is recommended for each spice (in fear of it killing the flavors) or should the usual measurements be okay?

I wanna experiment with some apfelwein by adding some spices in. Should I put them in during fermentation or during bottling? And since apfelwein is pretty strong, should I go a little above what is recommended for each spice (in fear of it killing the flavors) or should the usual measurements be okay?

I am not experienced with adding spices to anything, but my guess would be that you should add them at bottling time, since most spices have alcohol-soluble flavors that wouldn't come out otherwise; they'd probably sink to the bottom and get thrown out. Maybe someone else will know better, though.

Just do like a glogg and add at drinking time.

I am not experienced with adding spices to anything, but my guess would be that you should add them at bottling time, since most spices have alcohol-soluble flavors that wouldn't come out otherwise; they'd probably sink to the bottom and get thrown out. Maybe someone else will know better, though.

I added 1 big cinnamon stick, 2 cloves, and 2 cardamon pods to my last batch in secondary and it sat on the spices for 2 months. When I bottled it had an overwhelming smell of cardamon and a slight spiced taste. 4 months later, I can't taste or smell the spices at all. :( That said, it still tastes great.

ok PU! this stuff stinks when fermenting!!!! must be the red star montrachet. wife made me move it out into the storage room....

stinks for a day or so... straight up farts... but when all is said and done you got yourself some great appy wine, or apple feeny if you will. Any which way you call it youre gonna wanna have some on hand for the hot summer days.

At 43 days in primary I took my first sample. 0.999-1.000 FG and I chilled my hydro in a beer bottle to sample.

Chilled down and everything I tried the Apfelwein and the best I can describe it is almost soured apple flavored. Is this the normal taste? I found it to be almost undrinkable.

At 43 days in primary I took my first sample. 0.999-1.000 FG and I chilled my hydro in a beer bottle to sample.

Chilled down and everything I tried the Apfelwein and the best I can describe it is almost soured apple flavored. Is this the normal taste? I found it to be almost undrinkable.

The one batch I have made was very dry and only has a slight apple taste. If it's something strong enough to make it near "undrinkable" it's surprising.

It's more just sour than apple. I don't really drink anything other than beer so I can't describe it much better.

I know usually the best way is to spice it before drinking but I kinda wanted to make it spiced enough in the bottle. Going by what Mike said, I'm thinking maybe I should like double or triple my spice bill in the secondary. What do you guys think?

Ok another question. THis is my first time fermenting anything. I followed Edworts recipe to the letter even using the 5 gallon better bottles. Placed in the fermenter on 4/03/09. Activity in the airlock was vigorous for the 1st 10 days then it pretty much stopped. Today 4/29 i took a sample with a thief and it still tastes alot like apple. Still hasnt cleared that much. I do have clumps of bubbles on the surface but no airlock activity. No dryness detected and not really any alcohol. It smells almost like bear maybe a little yeastier. Is it possible the fermentation stuck? I expected the alcohol to be more upfront. I did experience some pretty cold temps at the beginning of fermentation 50-52F. If it did stick could i add another package of dry yeast?

Im guessing you dont have a hydrometer to tell if its done. I can see how one might think it smells like a beer, youre smelling the alcohol. If its cloudy leave it for another week or two, and yes it smells and even tastes pretty yeasty at this time. I taste yeast pretty bad in finished apfelwein anyway.

Latest posts

Back