If you got this review what would you think...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbroze

Reaction score
"He said he likes it, tastes really good, but there is something about it – caramel-ish taste, not bad but just not his kind of beer, but not a bad taste – kind of sticky.

Good aroma, good aftertaste, not too hoppy, its smooth, its good. He wouldn’t be disappointed if he got this in a restaurant. "

What do you think the "sticky" is from? :drunk: Is it too high in FG? I believe it finished a little high but not off the charts.

The beer was an Irish Amber Ale. :mug:

Thanks for you input!

I am not one who would generally bother with anyone's opinions about any of my beer, and personally a "caramel like" taste would be a big plus according to my own set of standards.

But if you're into competition craft, i couldn't say how bad this comment is really.

Are you brewing for yourself or running for contests?

An excess of crystal malt, perhaps? That'll also cut into the attenuation. Maybe a little unbalanced - not quite enough of a bittering hop addition?

Being kinda sweet and caramel-ey and maybe not very bitter are all fine for the style, but sounds like the balance just might be too far towards the sweet. So, cut back on the crystal malts, maybe try and boost attenuation (mash lower), maybe a little more bittering hops for balance.

Let's see the recipe. My initial thoughts are too much crystal malt and an under attenuated fermentation.

I am not one who would generally bother with anyone's opinions about any of my beer, and personally a "caramel like" taste would be a big plus according to my own set of standards.

But if you're into competition craft, i couldn't say how bad this comment is really.

Are you brewing for yourself or running for contests?

I would like to eventually enter contests. Right now brewing for myself.

I took a chance with the Agentine Cascades 1oz and also used Kent Goldings 1oz and it sounds like it didn't pay off. I may have to edit that.

I also used 4lbs amber dry malt extract and I may cut that down. To just using all light malt extract (total 6 lbs) and go for more color from using more speciality grains. Maybe this will help.....Any thoughts? :mug:

Let's see the recipe. My initial thoughts are too much crystal malt and an under attenuated fermentation.

I will have to go home and get it, I am still at work.

Went something like this:

4 lbs Dry Amber Malt Extract
2.5 lbs Dry Light Malt Extract

Steeped:
8oz Carmel
8oz Rosted Barley
4oz 2 row
I'm forgetting the last grains used

1oz Argentina Cascades - 60
1oz Kent Goldings - 45

White labs - Irish Ale

That is pretty close I think. I made this one up on my own and had some left over grains around from my previous two batches.

People who can't be direct with their opinions shouldn't have one. Did that sound harsh? I think it sounded harsh.

People who can't be direct with their opinions shouldn't have one. Did that sound harsh? I think it sounded harsh.

:confused:

What am I missing? The original "review" sounds like how I might describe a beer that I thought was pretty good but maybe a little unbalanced. What are you expecting?

:confused:

What am I missing? The original "review" sounds like how I might describe a beer that I thought was pretty good but maybe a little unbalanced. What are you expecting?

I guess I took the review to trying to express something they didn't like, but being afraid to directly put it out there.

I guess it is harsh, but I like having direct input when it comes to things. Directly stating that you like the beer, but then directly stating the things that you dislike about the beer. The original review sounded like they really weren't sure if they didn't like anything about it.

I guess I took the review to trying to express something they didn't like, but being afraid to directly put it out there.

I guess it is harsh, but I like having direct input when it comes to things. Directly stating that you like the beer, but then directly stating the things that you dislike about the beer. The original review sounded like they really weren't sure if they didn't like anything about it.

You might not like to enter competitions in that case because that is exactly how the descriptors go.

Overall impression followed by detailed analysis. Considering there are about 400 different flavors and sensations that can come through in a sip of beer mentioning three or four that are negative does not detract from the overall conclusion.

The review looks more like tasting notes on a judging sheet than a review to me. (Looks like something I could easily have written.)

I don't think he was being harsh. He did drink the other bottle I gave him in the same sitting.

I appreciate the input. I will try to balance it a little more but I think I could eventually have a high quality beer, that could eventually be a beer that I would like to have judged.

The best part is it gives me more of a reason to drink that "unbalanced" beer. I have to remember to keep a couple around so I can compare batch to batch...

Without mentioning his beer tasting "experience", there's no frame of reference for evaluating his comments.

Is he a craft beer drinker who shies away from bud light (et al) products and knows a thing or two about different BJCP beer styles? Or is he just a buddy who likes drinking "normal" commercial beers.

Based on your recipe, I used this tool to generate a review. Thanks olllllo, I'm having fun with this.

It's Pub Night: Beer Review Generator

Pours a magnificent pitch black with a thin head. The faintest hint of lacing. Thick bready aroma, with notes of lilac and tartness. Minimal medicinal flavor, with sherry and citrus. Silky smooth mouthfeel and slightly dry finish. Score: 3.60/5.

full or partial boil?

Sticky could be something someone might use to describe the extract taste

Caramel flavor is out of style for an Irish - but that doesn't mean it didn't taste good. Not sure your friend is that into styles to know that though. Also I don't think steeping the 2 row did anything for your beer. I understand it was jumbalaya beer, just saying...

Your friend would probably like a drier beer - this one has too much flavor. :mug:

-OCD

It almost sounds more like a Scottish Ale of some sort, which in some ways is going to be similar but where there will tend to be some of those caramel notes and maybe a little bit more sweetness.

Is there a reason for the amber DME? From what I have read on here, it is best to use light DME and use base + specialty grains to get the color you want. Supposedly tastes better and gives you greater control.

The amber DME could be the source of the "sticky". I wonder if he meant "cloying"?

Hmmm, I like your recipe. Might just use with the above changes.

I also question the reviewers background. If he doesn't know what he's talking about he could be imagining tastes. Most taste is preconceived before ever hitting our mouth unless you know HOW to taste. Sounds ridiculous but true. If you gave an average joe one bottle and played it up like, "This is a 2007 Caramel Mild with hints of dark fruit and a slight oaky nose, he will most likely say it tasted better then than the second bottle you give him a day or so later of the same stuff described as "a basic extract brew from a kit, It's supposed to be like a mild or brown ale".
I just saw an interesteing experiment on the food network show "Food detectives". Pretty funny results.

I just saw an interesteing experiment on the food network show "Food detectives". Pretty funny results.

:off:
They did the same thing with cigars a few years ago. Five dollar cigar out of a $30,000 humidor VS. a vintage cuban out of a shoebox. The five dollar cigar was MUCH better. :cross:

They wouldn't do that with beer would they? Put average beer in a fancy bottle and tell you it was great? :ban:

-OCD

Is there a reason for the amber DME? From what I have read on here, it is best to use light DME and use base + specialty grains to get the color you want. Supposedly tastes better and gives you greater control.

The amber DME could be the source of the "sticky". I wonder if he meant "cloying"?

Hmmm, I like your recipe. Might just use with the above changes.

What is cloying?

I have since decided to never use amber DME again. I will try for the color with the grains. It is a nice color....

My friend is in no way a beer expert but he doesn't drink bud. Give him some credit....:p

I have decided I am happy with the beer after another personal tasting by your's truely and I will tweek it with intentions of getting it judged. I am going to have a few more tastings just to make sure. :drunk:

What is cloying?

I have since decided to never use amber DME again. I will try for the color with the grains. It is a nice color....

My friend is in no way a beer expert but he doesn't drink bud. Give him some credit....:p

I have decided I am happy with the beer after another personal tasting by your's truely and I will tweek it with intentions of getting it judged. I am going to have a few more tastings just to make sure. :drunk:

I definitely was not knocking your friend's taste. :)

I have read a number of descriptions and what you mentioned seems similar to "cloying":
To cause distaste or disgust by supplying with too much of something originally pleasant, especially something rich or sweet; surfeit.

That is what I thought he was referring to as "sticky".

Hey if you like your beer, that is what is the most important thing. It is good to have a friend tho that will give you positive criticism without coming off as hard-nosed.

Going off of the brew veterans, I think you will have better luck without the amber DME as well. Just an uneducated opinion from me but it does seem to be the consensus.

My 2 cents:
Amber DME is made with Caramel malts as well as base grains, so using a large amount will result in significant amount of dextrins and "caramel" taste - fine if that is what you are after, but easy to overdo. A basic pale DME or LME will be have more fermentable sugars, and can be augmented with specialty grains for flavor and color. Regarding "the extract taste", if you can definitively taste the difference between extract and "all grain" beers, then you are encountering poor extract or brewing practices. Properly made extract beers do not have a definitive "extract" taste, which is why many contests continue to be won with extract beers.

I didn;t read all replies.I would say sticky=anything like munich malt-sweetness,fat tire,biscuit flavors etc.

I will have to go home and get it, I am still at work.

Went something like this:

4 lbs Dry Amber Malt Extract
2.5 lbs Dry Light Malt Extract

Steeped:
8oz Carmel
8oz Rosted Barley
4oz 2 row
I'm forgetting the last grains used

1oz Argentina Cascades - 60
1oz Kent Goldings - 45

White labs - Irish Ale

That is pretty close I think. I made this one up on my own and had some left over grains around from my previous two batches.

at a glance it would appear that this beer would be more sweet than bitter. 6 and 1/2lbs DME. 1oz cascade 60 mins. 1oz kent goldings 45 mins. maybe you need to make it a little bit more bitter to cover up the sweetness of the malt for a good balance of bitter and sweet

Back