Mouse Attack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacebarcowboy

Reaction score
While I was away for a couple weeks over the holidays, my homebrew stash suffered a major mouse attack. My wife got home before me and cleaned it up, so I didn't actually see the carnage. Mostly it was several bags of dried malt extract that was attacked but there was also some crystal malt and corn sugar, etc.

There were holes chewed into the malt extract but the bags are mostly still intact. There was mouse poop everywhere, of course. I imagine that I should toss everything, but it pains me, and its probably $40 of extract. Would anyone have advice? Would it be fine once its boiled, or should I just say no to mouse beer?

It wouldn't be worth it to me. Boiling might work, but mice carry some nasty crap in their crap.

I had the same thing happen to me, and I definitely tossed ALL of it. It would probably be fine after boiling, but I just can't bear the idea of mouse-poop-residue in my beer (even if it IS sterilized). Mice may look cute but they are some of the dirtiest little creatures that people come into contact with.

Anyone ever heard of a little thing called BUBONIC PLAGUE?! :p

I know that is the right answer. And I will be getting the containers tomorrow. I thought it was safe up in the cabinet!

Would anyone have advice? Would it be fine once its boiled, or should I just say no to mouse beer?

One word.

Hantavirus

From Hantavirus Infection - Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention

The mini-epidemic of hantavirus infection that erupted in the Southwest in 1993 was an ominous new variation of an old theme.

In other parts of the world, rodent-borne hantaviruses have been causing sporadic outbreaks of high fever, hemorrhages, and sometimes kidney failure for most of this century. Over the past 40 years, four strains of hantavirus have been blamed for periodic outbreaks of illness characterized by flu-like symptoms, fevers, and kidney problems.

But this outbreak was different: instead of the 5 to 30 percent fatality rates seen in the past, about 60 percent of people who were stricken in the U.S. died of respiratory failure within days. The first hantavirus deaths were reported in New Mexico in May 1993, in the remote Four Corners area where Arizona, Colorado, Utah and New Mexico meet on the high plains.

The cause of the disease was quickly identified as a novel member of the family of hantaviruses, originally named for the river (Hantaan) in South Korea where the prototype was discovered. The Hantaan serotype viruses cause severe hemorrhagic fever with kidney involvement and are found in Korea, China, and eastern Russia.

The new disease (discovered in the Southwest U.S.) is called the hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. The name for the new pathogen is the Muerto Canyon (Sin Nombre, Four Corners) virus, for the location in New Mexico where it was isolated.

I grew up about 75 miles from Four Corners, and Hantavirus is a very scary thing in that part of the world. 60% mortality rate, within days. Scary.

Dump the extract.

2113-img_1159.jpg

I was just thinking I would save the extract in the "middle" of the bag and throw out the parts that looked like they had come in contact with the mice. But yall have convinced me to toss it all.

yeah, toss it. Where was your stash stashed at? Maybe consider getting some plastic container.

Nice picture David 42...guess the mouse got a little too curious.

My stash was in a kitchen cabinet. It doesn't appear to have any holes are anything but the wooden door doesn't close completely tight, so I guess they just wiggled in and went to town. I will be loading up on some new plastic containers today (after I go pick up a bunch of free carboys and free kegging equipment a friend of a friend who is moving is giving away!) Win some, lose some!!

My stash was in a kitchen cabinet. It doesn't appear to have any holes are anything but the wooden door doesn't close completely tight, so I guess they just wiggled in and went to town. I will be loading up on some new plastic containers today (after I go pick up a bunch of free carboys and free kegging equipment a friend of a friend who is moving is giving away!) Win some, lose some!!

true that, sounds more like you won...free gear?? It's cheaper to buy extract then equipment, not saying extract is cheap but cheaper...if you follow?

My stash was in a kitchen cabinet. It doesn't have any holes, but the wooden door doesnt close 100% tight, so I guess the mice just wiggled in and went to town. Yes, I will be investing in some plastic containers today, after I pick up a bunch of free carboys and kegging equipment that a friend of a friend (who is moving away) is giving away! I guess it all works out end the end: you win some, you lose some!

Kitchen cabinets are not good places to store grains. Even above-counter cabinets. There was a 1/2" gap in the bottom of a corner cabinet in my kitchen & mice were climbing on top of the microwave and jumping through it.

sorry about the double post there...it wasnt showing up so I posted it again...oops.

Yeah, I can't complain. I got an email out of nowhere from this acquaintance saying you want a bunch of carboys, several kegs and a co2 tank? (I promised to repay in homebrew!)

Yeah, I really have no idea how these guys got in. It seems like it would be very acrobatic. They really went to town. I also had some seeds in there, and I found them all over the house, even in the bed!

Ok, I will be the sole proponent for using the extract. There are very many worse things that can infect your food than what is likely to be in that extract, poop or no poop.

The boiling WILL kill it all.

Unless the mice were able to get inside the bag and poop, they likely just stuck their heads in to get some extract, and pooped outside. I may be the lone dissenter, but I think you guys are overreacting just a bit.

+1 on the black rice ale!!

Latest posts

Back