What do you think of this Chocolate Stout Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
I was at my LHBS this weekend and they set me up with these ingredients for a chocolate stout.

This is a partial mash recipe.

3.0 Lbs LME

5.25 Lbs Maris Otter Malt

0.75 Lbs Chocolate Malt

0.50 Lbs Crystal 60L Malt

1.0 oz Sovereign Hops 5.7% AAU (60 Min)

5.0 oz Cocoa Nibs (2.5 oz @ 15 mins / 2.5 oz in secondary)

Wyeast 1098 British Ale Yeast

Please let me know what you think. I'm happy to adjust the recipe based on suggestions. Thanks in advance!!

I was thinking 6 oz of cocoa powder about 10 mins from the end of the boil and using all of the nibs in the secondary. Will that be to chocolaty?

I use 8 oz. of nibs in a 5 gallon batch which is perfect for my tastes. I prefer the taste of nibs to powder, but I know a lot of people use powder at flame out. I don't think 6 oz. would be too much, but make sure you are using powder that doesn't contain fat or sugar.

any particular brand of cocoa powder? Also, how much roasted barley? I can't handle too much more grain than I have.

Here is mine, its all grain. I will post a PM in a minute.

10 lbs of 2 row
1.5 lbs Choc Malt
1.0 Carafa III
1.0 Crystal 60 L
.25lbs Cara-pils

1.0 oz Warrior for 60 minutes.
.5 Amarillo for 30 minutes
.25 Simicoe for 30 minutes
.5 Amarillo for 15 minutes
.25 Simicoe for 15 minutes
.5 Amarillo for 5 minutes
.25 Simicoe for 5 minutes
Irish Moss.
Safale 05 - 2 Packets.

PM Recipe:

6.3 Pale Liquid Extract
2.15 lbs 2 Row
1.5 lbs Choc Malt
1.0 Carafa III
1.0 Crystal 60 L
.25lbs Cara-pils

Also You could do this:

8.0 Pale Liquid Extract
1.5 lbs Choc Malt
1.0 Carafa III
1.0 Crystal 60 L
.25lbs Cara-pils

Thanks for the help! Will the sovereign hops work ok for a chocolate stout? LHBS said that this beer should really only have bittering hops.

Anybody? Just trying to find out of Sovereign hops are a good bittering hop for chocolate stout.

Back